Honda Accord Forum This popular mid sized car is offered in both a coupe and sedan, mixes performance with versatility.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Service Centre Vs Spark Plugs...Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 12:01 AM
Default Service Centre Vs Spark Plugs...Need Advice

Okay, A while ago now, i took my 94 accord in to get serviced, the mechanics "advised" me that the O rings for the spark plugs were worn causing oil to get into the tubes and that the spark plugs needed replacing aswell. They said the car would run fine till the next service, Hence it was reccomended work. Few months later, the car was again due for a service so i took it back to the same place with the intention of having this "reccomended" work done but it wasnt, it was just suggested to me again. That sorta lead me to believe it wasnt a serious issue yet. Im not really concerned about the seals leaking cause its bearly a teaspoon a month and only affects 2 of the 4 cylinders, i just suck the oil out each month. Im not sure about my spark plugs though, i havent checked them myself cos i havent the tools, however, ive reaserched what symptoms bad spark plugs give, and my honda hasnt got any of them. It drives and starts beautifully, accelerates well and gives good gas melaige, but then again thats just my opinion, im not 100% sure if im getting the best preformance/economy my car can give. I just dont want to go pay the estimated 250 dollars for the service if i dont really need it, i keep thinking that the mechanics saw that the seals were worn and "assumed" the sparks were worn too, what do u think i should do given all this stuff u now know?

Old 03-09-2009, 12:07 AM

$250 is a lot of money for replacing the seals on the tubes. What you need to get is a valve cover gasket kit. Felpro makes one and it comes with all 4 of the seals for the spark plug tubes and the valve cover gasket itself. I don't know if you are a mechanically inclined or not but it is a pretty straight forward job.

1: Remove things attached to valve cover and remove spark plug wires (don't remove the plug wires from the distributor. just pop them out and set them a side try to keep them in order)
2: Remove the 4 chrome nuts and pop the valve cover off. (you may need a flat headed screwdriver for this to assist in gently prying the valve cover off.)
3: Remove old gaskets clean surface on engine side with a rag.
4: remove the little bit of silicone on each side of the camshaft.
5: install new valve cover gasket onto valve cover and put a little dabs of fresh silicone on the 2 areas that you just clean off.
6: reinstall valve cover tighten everything down.
7: install everything else reverse order

Hope this helps