Honda Accord Forum This popular mid sized car is offered in both a coupe and sedan, mixes performance with versatility.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slow to finally start with check engine light coming on

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2018, 04:46 PM
Default Slow to finally start with check engine light coming on

Hello, my ' 91 auto Accord has 120k miles on it. Lately from a cool start (above freezing temperature and after sitting overnight) it takes longer cranking until it starts, then sputters a little before smoothing out at idle. The yellow check engine light comes on too. If I immediately turn it off, it restarts normally and the check engine light does not come back on. Does this sound like the Engine Control Temperature (ECT) failing? My guess is that It's the original sensor to the car. At around $115.00 from the Honda dealer I'm thinking of just replacing it. Or, can anyone comment on aftermarket parts quality on ECTs from their own experience?

As stated for other year model threads, there's also a sensor under the distributor cap? I'm a little confused as to why a temp sensor would be located there for engine temp, maybe someone can help explain? Should I also consider replacing this? Thanks in advance for this handy forum and folks taking the time to help each other out.