Honda Accord Forum This popular mid sized car is offered in both a coupe and sedan, mixes performance with versatility.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2014, 03:44 PM
Default Transmission Fluid

We recently purchase a 2005 Accord Ex with about 90K miles. We took it in for an oil change and they did the "free" inspection. Overall, it got a clean bill of health, but they indicated that the transmission fluid should be changed.

I realize that this is most likely an attempt to get additional business, but for the sake of "peace of mind", I think I will get it changed.

I took it to one shop and they said that they didn't have the ability to completely flush the fluid out and they recommended me to a transmission shop. The transmission shop indicated that they didn't do a flush - they just drop the pan, drain the fluid, replace the gasket, and then do a fill.

My concern is that this most likely won't get all of the fluid out.

Is this method acceptable, or do I need to go to the dealer for a "proper" flush?

Old 11-28-2014, 04:52 PM

it does make a big difference if its auto or manual which you failed to mention but honda does not recommend a ''machine flush'' only a manual ''drain and fill'' which does not consist of dropping the pan only unscrewing the drain plug draining the fluid filling with new honda ATF then driving a couple miles then repeat 3-4 more times. if you have ever changed the engine oil yourself then you already know how to do this yourself in your driveway. only i repeat only use genuine honda ATF fluid unless you can afford a new transmission. side note if you had the oil done by a quick lube place i suggests you make sure they put the correct amount of oil and check the drain plug wasn't over or under tightened also that they didn't re-use the old crush gasket.

Last edited by lowlife9; 11-28-2014 at 04:59 PM.
Old 11-28-2014, 07:51 PM

Sorry - this is an automatic transmission.

Are you saying to drain, then fill, then drive a few miles, then drain, then fill, etc. 3 or 4 times?

Old 11-29-2014, 04:23 AM
Super Moderator

yes lowlife9 is correct, this allows the fluids to circulate and be drained. with honda atf only.

Old 11-29-2014, 06:48 PM

yes drain it fill it drive it then repeat this gets the old fluid out of the torque converter where most of the fluid is also clean off the drain plug magnet. make sure not to over or under fill it that can cause problems. i usually measure exactly how much is taken out. i would recommend buying a manual and a torque wrench.