General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Transmission Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 10:35 AM
Default Transmission Fluid

To drain or to flush this is the question.

My Pilot now has 75000 and the owners manual states its time to change the transmission fluid.
One person suggest to go to the dealer and have the transmission fluid flushed from the transmission. Someone else suggested just to remove the drain plug and refill.
If I drain and refill I will be only be removing and replacing about 3L of fluid. (per owners manual) Is this acceptable.
If I have it flushed will it clog the filter?
The owners manual is not clear on what is best.

Thank
Kentucky, Pilot owner

Old 10-29-2008, 11:59 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Transmission Fluid

welcome to the forum.A complete trans fluid change is recommemded, a transmission shop can do this at a lessor cost than Honda Factory. I drop my transmission fluid pan and change the filter and replenish the fluid each 20k miles only because I cannot drain the fluid out of the converter.This keeps most of the fluid in the transmission in clean condition and does not have the burnt smell. I do not use any added flush fluids. 160k and ran smooth in shifting. ( 90 accord )

Old 07-24-2011, 10:58 AM

Hello acmech. Question: I am an amateur wrench turner who has been using the following method for years when I change my trans fluid. First, I find out the total capacity of the tranny, converter included, then, I find out how much the pan itself holds. Next, I do some math. on these figures and figure out that if I just drain the pan X number of times, drive the car for about a week to allow the fluid in the pan and converter to mix, then repeat the process Y number of times, I will get Z % of the total fluid changed. For example, on my 2009 CRV, I have to change the fluid in the pan about 12 times to get about a 98 % total fluid change. The only drawback is the disposal of the 30 or so quarts of fluid when finished. I have had great luck with this system for a long, long time. Any comments or critiques greatly appreciated. Now for my question: Do you know if the CRV uses a transmission fluid filter and is the drain plug on the tranny accessible without the need to put the car on jack stands ? Diagrams would be much appreciated if possible; I believe you sent me diagrams on the cabin filter for this vehicle which were invaluable. Thanks in advance for your response. AL

Old 07-25-2011, 10:26 AM

I will change my fluid and filter about every other 30,000 miles and then flush the rest of the time in other words at 30k I drop the pan, at 60k I flush and at 90 I drop the can again,seems to work well for me My Accord has 107,000 miles and no trannie problems.

Old 07-28-2011, 12:22 AM
Default Proper method

The best method would be to simply drain and refill the fluid 3-4 quarts is all you will need. It is true you will not get all the fluid out from converter, however that is ok. Just perform the same procedure again at 90,000 miles.