Honda Accord Forum This popular mid sized car is offered in both a coupe and sedan, mixes performance with versatility.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

trouble starting and running

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 06:02 PM
Default trouble starting and running

I have a 94 honda accord ex 4 cylinder v tech. A couple of months ago it began hesitating at start and running rough, sometimes to the point of dieing and having to be restarted. I consulted with the person who sold the car to me, and learned that it was still running with the original fuel filter after 150,000 some odd miles. (most other major maintenece had been atended to) I quickly ran out and replaced the filter and everything seemed all better. Well a couple weeks ago the car began having the same problems but worse than ever. The car will (sometimes) start only to get to about 1000 rpms and die. if i start and then give it about 50% throughtle i can usually get it up to about 3000rpms where it will run fairly well. if i hold it like this for several minutes i can then get it into drive without it dieing and drive off. but as i drive every time i stop and begin to accelerate it seems to take longer and longer to pick up speed untill the point where it shudders and misses and just goes along at a crawl untill it finnaly breaks through the ruff spot and makes it up into the 3000 rpm range. aside from that even before it gets to the point mentioned above when i give it gas it shudders and sometimes seems like it might die. the exaust smells verry rich and the only way to get around (when i absolutly must) is by warming it up and then just barely tapping the accelerator repeatidly to get up to speed. all vacuume hoses seem fine, all relavent fluids are good, voltage is good and spark plugs are clean. when the fuel line is pulled off the fuel rail and the key turned to on fuel sprays (liberally) for 2 seconds as i have read it should.

Old 03-14-2010, 07:22 PM

i could be a bad fuel tank with crud at the bottom an it is jut clogging the fuel filter but still allowing enough fuel to get by to get it started an that could be causing it to run rough when your trying to get it going from a stop.... it is a very strange sittuation

Old 04-04-2010, 07:00 PM

is your air filter clean?

Old 04-18-2010, 04:37 AM

fuel filter is pretty cheap so you can replace it again and while your at it drop the fuel tank and clean it out. if it's rust then there is a cleaner and tank liner that'll fix that. cheaper then buying a new tank. if that doesn't solve the problem then you may need to clean your injectors.. while your at it test out your fuel pump pressure. i'm assuming that you've already check the electrical.. right?

good luck