Honda Accord Forum This popular mid sized car is offered in both a coupe and sedan, mixes performance with versatility.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

UNBELIEVABLE 1993 Accord 0 ppm emissions output!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2018, 06:58 PM
Default UNBELIEVABLE 1993 Accord 0 ppm emissions output!

I guess my preventative maintenance has paid off! I live in California and my 1993 Honda Accord with 280,360 miles on it passed a ASM emissions test Which is not unusual for a well maintained car. And the emissions tests here in Cali are quite stringent! Believe me... they are happy to fail your car if EVERYTHING is not in working order. But the unusual thing about my car is it passed the 25 mph test with 0 ppm emissions output for the NOX! (check out the attachment with this post) And this car has been through a flood! I have NEVER been in the engine or transaxle! I have been in the distributor a couple of times, replaced the timing belt and other odds and ends but Never in the engine. Now if this is not a DAMN GOOD CAR!!!!! I guess I don't know what i'm talking about! Also the California Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) who is control of the emissions tests is VERY STRICT about the test equipment used for the smog tests. ESPECIALLY the "TEST ONLY" stations. They have redundant system checks consistently at all smog check stations. I highly doubt if there was a equipment malfunction. And the California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) gets the information back from the smog test equipment even before the Smog Tech at the test station gets it back. It is very hard to modify or fake a test.

Attached Thumbnails UNBELIEVABLE 1993 Accord 0 ppm emissions output!-img125.jpg  
Old 02-16-2018, 12:39 AM
Super Moderator

welcome to the forum. this means you'll keep the car another 10years i hope or to 500k. good vehicle, keep up the maintenance.

Old 03-29-2018, 09:44 AM

That's freaking badass and allso why i dont live in Cal.
I live in arkansas wher they dont inspect anything.
All of my stuff woud not pass and they would crush it all. lol

Old 03-29-2018, 04:59 PM

Ya Thanks ! I guess that is kinda bad assed! It is SO FREAKING HARD to stay up on the maintainance of a car to get it to pass smog that good. (especially here in Cali and they don't mess around! If ANYTHING is wrong when you take the car in for the test . They are MORE THAN HAPPY to fail you.) Now they even check your GAS TANK! After the older cars fail after so many times they have a incentive program Its called the Buy Back Program The state will give you I think up to $500. to get it passed and if not sorry charlie don't get caught driving it or its towed! It gets the older cars off the road and stimulates the economy because you HAVE to go out and buy another car. I guess they are hoping you get a new car. And the tests get tougher every year. Here in Cali the Air Resourses Board cares about the air. Which is a good thing but truth is they don't care about your and my air they only care about their air ! Which just happens to our air to! Thats the only reason it passed so good . I do the preventative maint. by the book. Hell that is a career just by its self. I did'ent know Arkansas did'ent have these tests sounds like i'm living in the wrong state. And you know what? About the car being in a flood! I was driving it during a severe rain ( for days) On the side of the road there was a flooded road sign. I did'ent think twice about it. Been down this road a thousand times. water was comming up over the hood I just kept it floored! I think the pressure of the car going through the water pushed the water away from the intake! Then I got through the flood my headlights burned up because the lenses filled up with water! ( The water was up to the side mirrors!) Water was going up over my hood and up my windshield I still can't believe it did'ent stall. I will tell you what Brother None of this is a lie! I assure you it is all true! If that is not a damn good car. Than I don't have a clue what is! Oh ya and it has 280,000 mile and i've NEVER been in the motor or tranny! I mean i've done the regular stuff like timing belt , sprk plugs, change oil you know the regular maintanance stuff. And its a 93 Best damn car i've ever owned! I took a copy of my smog readout down to a local Honda dealership here in Sacramento. You should have seen these guys they were strutting around like peacocks! (especially the salesmen) HA-HA-HA-HA. They asked me if they could make a copy of the readout to put up on their bulletine board and asked me if I would write them a commentary for their news bullitine for their Honda owners club! I guess if there is anything here to be learned... I think its safe to say that these automotive engineers that write the service manuals do know EXACTLY what they are doing. AND to ALWAYS buy the factory manuals. Never the Chiltons! But even more important that all of that... You can't skip steps in the manuals Sometimes the steps seam like extra work but they are not! Thanks for the comment Bro be safe!

Old 03-30-2018, 07:49 AM

Crazy..story bud.
This is my first Honda (95 accord ex) it was my daughters car and she is real real real bad on cars.
it was nice when she first got it but it went down hill fast.
I little tid-bit..
she came by the house one day saying that there was a bad sound from the front of the car. so I drove it and wow yea it was scary.
the front breaks sounded a 50 grit sand paper on 50 grit sand paper. pulled the wheels and freaking wow. latterly no break pads at all. break pad metal back plate on what was left of a thing that once was a break drum. Ordered parts and replaced and fixed.
later on same thing, DAD it sounds funny in the back. again me to the rescue. Yep struts are about as useful as a **** on a boar hog. at that time I told her she could have her moms Saturn aura till I get it fixed up where is was safe to drive and I go thru it. so we let here keep the Saturn and I got the Honda.
So I got rear struts ordered for it and break master cylinder and some odd and end parts. The motor sounds like the valves are rattling so I fig. there has been no up keep on the car at all. prob. the original plugs and wires, O god I hope not. my next paycheck I replacing them and doing oil change and checking filters and such. I have read where the timing belt and such needs to be replaced after so many miles, but the speedo does not work on this car either. lol so I have to get that fixed aswell.
the motor is a little 2.2 but I seams to be strong for what it is. the trans shifts into gears a little hard but I have heard that that is common in theses cars if the throttle cable is not adjusted right. I don't know like I said I'm new the Honda world. on a small side note, I also once when threw a small but surprising deep and longer then thought water crossing the road. I was in my 74 impala 2 door custom with a 400 small block 400 turbo trans and posy rear end al from factory. it was a badass car. Water also went over the hood and up to the bottom of the door glass. it was amazing that it didn't die aswell, like you I floored it and some how it made it. it all happened after a bomb fire party in the backwoods when one guy said hay I know a short cut................. lol

Old 03-30-2018, 01:58 PM

Yep CHEVY ALL THE WAY!! I have a 1991 full sized 4x4 truck with the same motor you had in your impala GREAT MOTOR!!! You know i have never figured out why women are SO DAMNED HARD ON CARS! If only she would have mentioned about your accord brakes before they wore down to nothing. But i know what you mean. On a much more serious note... About your Honda I CANNOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I know that in the honda owners manual ( the 1 thats usually in the glove box) In the transmission section or fluids they recommend when changing the trans fluid in a automatic to use ATF. You being a chevy man . You probably know that chevy ( or GM ) uses ATF. LOOK......... DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE USE REGULAR ATF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!! Again... DO NOT USE REGULAR ATF UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE! YOU MUST USE HONDA Z 1 ATF. If you do it will work for about 10 miles and you will not even be able to use that tranny for a core. That was a VERY EXPENSIVE LEARNING EXPERIANCE for me. The honda Z1 ATF IS EXPENSIVE but whats more expensive a new transaxle or a few quarts of fluid? I have no idea why Honda does not rectify this problem or at least put a footnote in their owners manual. Also I would nothing else but honda in the power steering pump or it will develope leaks in rack and pinion

Old 04-04-2018, 05:23 PM

just got rear struts in the mail. woohoo