Honda Accord Forum This popular mid sized car is offered in both a coupe and sedan, mixes performance with versatility.

Valves and Accords

Old 03-31-2009, 08:55 PM
Default Valves and Accords

how are you supposed to determine whether your valves need adjustment?, i mean, the engine note a honda emits makes it a real challenge(early 90s accord) to distinguish normal sound from abnormal noise..is there any sound/noise in particular a honda with poorly adjusted valves would make and at what rev range or engine temp? any info would help

Old 04-01-2009, 03:28 AM
Super Moderator

i could hear my valves noisy at idle, at higher rpms there is too much noise besides the valves. Also I have stethoscope and i can hear it good. Also opening the oil fill cap, the loose valves can be heard.

Old 04-20-2009, 08:30 PM

My accord wont start. There was 2 extra quarts of oil in theyre that the person I let use the car put in theyre. I took off the valve cover and the 3 end valves towards the front (drivers side) in the head makes a loud clicking noise while flicking oil. It almost starts but just not enough compression to do so, I think the answer lies in the valves which some guru can guide me to the light because rarararararrarararrara "what chewbacka says" . Any advice. I dont wanna swap the whole motor if its something small like a bent valve or something like a bolt in theyre, I dont think so though. Any advice? Can I just adjust the valves till it doesnt flick/click anymore

Last edited by fuji576; 04-20-2009 at 08:34 PM.
Old 04-26-2009, 10:24 PM
Default Update

Guess what ****ers?, I ended up changing the head and I found 6 bent to hell rods in theyre (all exhaust). We now all know what causes bent rods thanks to me (too much oil). So if any of you folks have symptoms such as sticking rods you all know that too much oil causes hydrostatic pressure and bends up your rods. Just like how water doesnt compress so when it goes in your engine it blows your rods, crank, etc. Too much oil slowly tweeks your major components. I guess im gonna have to tell my beautiful wife/girlfriend not to try and work on the car without permission. Im still having issues though. After putting the new head on, it clicks a little. Still not drivable in my book. Any advice to fix it? Its alot better but I would say about 80 percent. I want it 100 percent better. Oh yeah and my main belt wobbles. It is more loose on one side than the other.