Honda Accord Forum This popular mid sized car is offered in both a coupe and sedan, mixes performance with versatility.

Wiring a battery kill switch - please help

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2021 | 12:34 PM
|
Default Wiring a battery kill switch - please help

I have a tendency to leave my lights on overnight or whenever I park somewhere at a mall, or at a place to eat, or gym, etc.
I want to create a switch that when I leave, basically kills all possibility to drain my battery.
Please see the attached little diagram and let me know if its the right way to do it - or better if you can show me the right way Id greatly appreciate it.
Thanks in advance

Hope you can see this

Old 11-05-2021 | 01:19 PM

Yeah, what makes you think that you will remember to use this kill switch??
You already have a kill switch built in??? that you do not use.
You would need to wire so that when the ignition key is pulled out that it will turn off the relay for the headlights
Your vehicle should have a warning buzzer for leaving the vehicle with the lights on??

Old 11-06-2021 | 01:05 PM
|

Its funny how when you ask a simple question you get a complicated response from some people.
#1 - who are you to say I wont be aware of disconnecting the "kill switch" whenever I leave my vehicle - and that shouldnt even be an issue here.
#2 Who said I alreayd have a kill switch in it? Im trying to create a 'battery' kill switch.
#3 No, I would not need to do anything to the ignition - that I know. I simply should wire a relay to the battery and wiring to the relay.
I have an idea of how I think it could be wired - and even included a simple diagram I was hoping someone would be kind enough to refer to.

all Im asking is - is the wiring I think will work - will it work. Shouldnt be too hard for someone with the know how.
Im not a child - so I dont need a lecture on if Ill be aware to switch it when I leave the vehicle.
So thank you for taking the time but you in no way read my question - and werent very helpful.

Hopefully some kind person will be less judgemental and less quick to jump to false conclusion and simply look at the wiring diagram and see if its the right way to do it.

Old 11-07-2021 | 12:35 AM

You are trying to substitute one switch for another
So, I asked a simple question, "What makes you think that you will remember to use this new switch?"

But, lets look at your diagram.
You do not have the load drawn in so it looks like the load side of the relay just goes back to battery negative
Which is/would complete a short circuit and burn out the wiring.
Draw in the lights for the load.

From battery positive thru the switch to Pins 85 thru the coil in the relay to pin 86 then to ground
That control side seems to be okay and should work as you believe it will.
The load side battery positive to pin 30 thru relay contact. Pin 87A is normally closed.
With relay powered up Pin 87 will close contact and power will run from pin 30 to pin 87
Pin 87 seems to run to battery negative which completes the short circuit (no load drawn in)

You would be better off getting power from a fuse that get power when key is in accessory position and run position(for pin 85)
And powers off when key is out of ignition. This way when you remove the key, the relay will automatically turn off
And the headlight will turn off automatically .. when you leave the vehicle.

However, do not take my advice. You know better than anyone that you will remember to turn off the switch for the relay
You just don't remember to turn off the headlight from the regular switch???

Last edited by avisitor; 11-07-2021 at 12:37 AM.
Old 11-09-2021 | 02:52 PM
|

People like you shouldnt be answering on these forums actually.
"Im trying to substitute one switch for the other" really??? - Im trying to create a switch
"I dont have a load" really??? - Im not trying to power anything - Im trying to disconnect something

The relay diagram I drew up will not create a short circuit nor will it burn any of the wiring.
You seem to answer every question with half truths and give alot of generic opinions, Ive noticed.
So how about you stay off my post and do everyone a favor and stay of theirs - as you seem to be getting off on just answering questions for the sake of trying to improve a rating rather than helping people.

And FYI - my diagram is sound. Normally in off switch position - power stops at the 87a switchleg.
Once I switch on - the electron magnet will pull the gate and energize the circuit allowing power will flow from the 30 end of relay - out through the 87 end - which completes my battery circuit and allows me to utlize the batery power. when I cut off engine, and turn off switch - it prevents any drain from occuring.
Im done with you.

I Wont even read anything else you respond to.
In fact, where is that block button.

Anyone else, please - feel free to set this guy straight.

Last edited by ftcc student; 11-09-2021 at 02:57 PM.
Old 11-11-2021 | 09:30 AM

If you believe that will work then do it
Just have something handy in case it doesn't.
And, anyone with knowledge of electrical diagrams or schematics knows that your sketch will not work.
Power going into pin 30 comes out of 87 when the relay is energized. So 30 is hooked up to battery positive
And pin 87 goes right back to battery negative. Short circuit. You have no load drawn in.
You do not need to read my post. Just let everyone else judge for themselves how arrogant you are.
Good luck with that.

Last edited by avisitor; 11-11-2021 at 09:33 AM.
Old 11-12-2021 | 02:31 PM
|

@avisitor
this guy just needs attention.
I hope people see how full of crap he is.
Ive already wired it up and its actually working - but he'll try to argue why it shouldnt.

Someone find out what his actualy experience is - he sounds like some youtube educated idiot.
or one of those guys without any type of certification or training but tries to be a mobile mechanic.
I didnt bother reading his response because my wiring actually works.
But go figure

Old 11-13-2021 | 12:04 AM

If your wiring actually works then it isn't wired the way you drew your circuit.
In the drawing, you have pin 30 wired to the battery positive
And pin 87 wired to the battery negative. So you did not wire it like that other wise short circuit.

Have a degree is electronics. Worked for Xerox for a year. Worked in defense industry for four years.
Worked as a bowling alley mechanics for one year. And three years in auto parts store.
Am not a mobile mechanic. Don't try to be.
Also, I do not try to put people down for educating themselves in any way they wish to.
Mostly cause experience is worth a lot more than book learning.
And I do not tell people that a starter can be replaced in 15 minutes without knowing what engine the starter is in
Now that is arrogance .. FTCC student asking for help with a circuit diagram?
Go ask your teacher using the same diagram you posted here and see what they say.

Last edited by avisitor; 11-13-2021 at 12:11 AM.
Old 11-13-2021 | 11:48 PM

This is not a place for fighting or harassment. Please refrain from being rude and fighting.
Ignore all you want. Judgement will come from others. Not from me.
All I did was ask you a simple question
What makes you think that you will remember to use this switch you wired in
if you can not remember to use the regular switch to turn off the headlights.
That is not an insult. It is an honest question.
Then , you do not even look at your own diagram to see it is drawn incorrectly
Good luck to you.