Honda Civic Forum This top selling compact car, offered in both a coupe or sedan, has become popular among people who want economy and performance.

1995 civic takes 30 min wit me in run to start

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2019, 04:57 PM
Default 1995 civic takes 30 min wit me in run to start

My son has a 1995 Honda Civic VTEC engine when the key is turned on the check engine light stays on for approximately 30 minutes to an hour before it will time out in energized The fuel pump I have tested the main power relay and replaced there is no power to the fuel pump and no power to the pin on the ECM to the check engine light when the car finally starts there is power to the pin on the ECM for the check engine light and the fuel pump runs in the car will start I sent the ECM in for repair and it was sent back supposedly fixed any suggestions I can supply voltage readings for each pan if you would like

Old 04-12-2019, 06:09 PM

No power to the pin to the ECM doesn't necessarily mean the ECM is bad
Power to the fuel pump usually only on when the engine is running/cranking
This is just in case car is in accident that if the engine stops so does the flow of fuel

Do you have schematics for vehicle?
Would start with why the ECM has no power

Good luck

Old 04-12-2019, 08:00 PM

D 18 has no power until the time period passes that it starts to work at that point the check engine light goes out the fuel pump cycles momentarily the idle speed control motors and injectors click then if I crank the car it will start. The power relay has 12 V all the time key on or off on the yellow wire yellow and black are both powered in the key is on the blue with the white tracer has 12 V when cranking the black wire is grounded blue and white has 12 bolts cranking in the green and yellow has 12 bolts when the key is on I physically can feel the relay click when I first turn it on but the check engine light stays on all the time until the car is ready to crank

Old 04-12-2019, 10:43 PM

I assume that D 18 is the pin on the ECM
Is the ECM holding that pin voltage down or is it missing?

Old 04-13-2019, 04:43 PM

First let me apologize for my voice text last time I was working on the car and dictating text to my phone so due to my southern twang lol it doesn’t always print what I say should have proofread better
there is no voltage ok pin d18 until the check engine light is out. The light only goes out after the wait time for whatever the problem is resets this is followed by clicking relays under the dash and hood and start up of the fuel pump. also turning key off and back on or into the start position and back to run also restarts the wait time sometimes up to a hour. I think d18 pin on the ecm is holding power until the reset but I cannot tell by the wiring diagram as both wires controlling it are from the ecm . I have also found that the diagnostic link will not flash codes when jumpered at least when the problem is present. One time I did get one long flash but have not duplicated that a second time.