Honda Civic Forum This top selling compact car, offered in both a coupe or sedan, has become popular among people who want economy and performance.

1998 Civic Oxygen Sensor bank 1- location cracked... need help

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2005, 04:19 PM
Default 1998 Civic Oxygen Sensor bank 1- location cracked... need help

Hello Honda Gods and Godesses!

I seek your help once again!

Drove from San Diego, CA to Grants Pass, OR and back (about 1700 miles) over this past holiday weekend. About 140 miles away from our first destination the check engine light came on. Got the little test done at AutoZone to figure out that it was the oxygen sensor in bank 1- the printout reads that it's the heater circuit oxygen sensor.

So we got under the hood and removed the 'cover' that was hindering us from being able to get the O2 sensor out to replace it- and low and behold the part where the sensor is screwed into has a big 'ol fat crack in it.

I believe, from doing my research, the this part is the catalytic converter. It's big... and it looks expensive to replace.

My questions are these:

1) do you think the O2 sensor is actually damaged? or did the check engine light come on because that part I think is the catalytic converter cracked?

2) if in fact it is the catalytic converter... are they expensive? are they a pain to replace?

3) if it's NOT the catalytic converter... what is it? and is it expensive/pain to replace?

4) If I replace the O2 sensor back into the cracked part... will the sensor still work properly? properly enough to allow me a pass on a smog test?

5) How long is it 'safe' to drive this car with an alleged cracked catalytic converter and a bum O2 sensor?

Any and all information that even semi relates to this would be VERY MUCH appreciated.

I have a guy who works on Honda's who can probably do some work pretty cheep for me- but if this is something that's going to cost me more than $200-$300 I need to start savin!

Old 12-28-2005, 08:50 PM
Default RE: 1998 Civic Oxygen Sensor bank 1- location cracked... need help

I think that the thing u called the "catalytic convert" is your exhaust manifold... The O2 sensor in no way screw into the catalytic converter, because that is under the car. If your goin for an upgraded honda i would suggest buyin a header for ur 98...

Old 12-28-2005, 10:00 PM

also for a quick fix if the header is stainless steel you can have some one tig weld it for a quick fix but it will not work for long a month or 6 weeks tops but thats all that i would run it for anddon't give it hell either

Old 01-20-2006, 02:13 AM

i've had the same problem! i opted for the new hedder... it's worth it. you're gonna buy a new or used for not much less. plus you'll have a nice hedder to show! whatever you do.. doNOT touch the end of the o2 sensor which goes inside the manifold with your fingers!! wear latex gloves. good luck!