Honda Civic Forum This top selling compact car, offered in both a coupe or sedan, has become popular among people who want economy and performance.

2001 civic Please help

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 05:46 AM
Default 2001 civic Please help

Please help me with my 2001 civic. Only 28000 miles. Drove 30 miles to light show last night. Ran good to there and then got in stop and go traffic. Car shuddered and almost cut off and CEL came on. When I could finally pull off on side street, car had no power and would only go about 20mph. Pulled over and popped hood and exhaust manifold was cherry red. oil level good and clean and temp guage stayed normal like always. I will to it home today and get codes. Please give me a couple of things to check when I get it home. Merry Christmas and God bless.

Ed

Old 12-24-2011, 11:54 AM

Got the codes 1361 and 1362. Picked up camshaft posiyion sensor. Car is new to me so I started reading on the internet. Does the timing cover have to come off to replace the sensor? Also someone mentioned a Top Dead Position sensor may cause this failure. If so where is it located?

Thanks for any help.

Ed

Old 12-27-2011, 09:59 AM

Here you go this should give you an idea.
Place the vehicle in park or neutral with the emergency brake set. Raise the hood and remove the negative battery cable with a socket and wrench. Refer to your owner's repair manual for the exact location of the camshaft sensor. Depending upon the make and model vehicle, the sensor can be located on the rear of the engine block, or directly connected to the distributor. Look for a small plastic, circular object that has a small wire loom coming from it, attached by a plastic spring clip. There might be two small bolts holding it in, or a single bolt.

Loosen the clamps on the cold air induction tube that routes from the air cleaner box to the throttle body. Using a screwdriver, loosen the screws at both hose ends and pull the hose out. If you see a plenum (engine cover) or a heat shield over the fuel rail sitting above the sensor, remove it with a socket and wrench. Keep the bolts in order for replacement. Use the shop light to locate the sensor. You will see a small wire jack that fits into it.

Position your fingers to depress the small plastic clips on the wire jack attached to the sensor and pull the jack out of the sensor. Thread the wire up toward you through the largest accessible hole. Spray electrical contact spray inside the connector and turn it upside down to let it air dry. Put a socket on an extension and place it down over the camshaft sensor mounting bolt. Turn counterclockwise to loosen the bolt, or bolts if more than one. Use a Phillips screwdriver if they have Phillips heads. Let the bolts remain in the sensor.

Remove the camshaft sensor by pulling it up straight up. Be sure to remove the small O-ring underneath it, so it can be reused. Discard the old camshaft sensor. Connect the sensor wire jack to the new camshaft sensor and place the mounting bolts in it. Place it down on its mounting surface. Twist the mounting bolts clockwise by hand while aligning the cam sensor over the holes. Use the correct size socket and extension to tighten the sensor bolts in a clockwise direction. Do not over-tighten the small bolts because you could break the sensor housing.

Replace the components you removed in the reverse order you removed them, which includes the plenum, heat shield and cold air tube hose. Make sure the bolts fit their respective holes, then use the correct size socket and wrench to tighten them. Reconnect the negative battery cable and tighten it with a socket and wrench.

Old 12-31-2011, 12:49 AM

Thanks Buckwheat,
I changed the CPS and all appears good. No too hard of a job after all. Thanks.

Ed

Old 01-27-2012, 10:31 AM

Glad you got it fixed.