Honda Civic Forum This top selling compact car, offered in both a coupe or sedan, has become popular among people who want economy and performance.

92 Civic Hatch Key wont turn

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 11:18 PM
Default 92 Civic Hatch Key wont turn

Hey, Just gotmyself a 92 Civic Hatchback Manual from a impound auction. Mainly got it because of the engine. B18c with a b16 head. Anyways. The front was a bit damaged needed to replace the radiator and the computer was stolen. i want to test the engine before i put any money into the car but i cant get the key to turn. I currently swapped my 95 automatic computer in there to try and start it but the key will not turn. Wheels are not locked but i tried that anyways. Also i have tried turning the key without the computer, and even without the battery. Still the key does not budge. i am certain now that it is the ignition. but honestly i know nothing about cars. This is going to be the car i hope to learn everything on. Anyone have any idea i should check before replacing the ignition?

Old 08-03-2010, 09:52 PM
Default Re: 92 Civic Hatch Key wont turn

sound like you have a bad key which doesn't belong to that ignition cycinder. best recommend is to change the ignition cylinder. if you dont want to invest on it, there the opposite side of the ignition cylinder where two screw hold the ignition harness plug to the ignition cylinder. unbolt the two screw then pull off the ignition harness plug. try to turn the ignition harness plug with battery and everything hook up. when having ignition plug pull way from ignition cylinder and turning, gently cause it old and fragile. this only help turn on the motor but steering wheel is still lock. hope this help, good luck.

Last edited by 94_sol_vtec; 08-17-2010 at 10:00 PM.