General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

key won't turn in ignition, but works fine in other locks

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 02:07 PM
Default key won't turn in ignition, but works fine in other locks

silly me, i kept locking myself out of my car all last week. so i had a new one cut to keep in my wallet. ever since i put that new key in, i've been having this problem. now, it always did stick a little bit when i turned the key in the ignition, but it wasnt an issue to me. now, however, it'll take me upwards of 5 minutes trying to turn the darn key. once it turns, it's fine, but it's just getting it unlocked that's the problem.

i researched and tried silicone spray; pulling the key in and out to make sure it lubes all the parts. not really much help... (but it did help on the doors).

tried the trick of using a rubber mallet against the ignition to dislodge any stuck/misaligned parts... both with and without the key in. nothing.

the steering wheel is not in the locked position. i have done that and it only makes it harder to turn the key.

it can't be the key itself, as it works fine in the other locks.

i'm at wits end and i'm developing carpal tunnel because of this(?)... there has to be a good cheap fix!

thanks!

Last edited by pyrodork; 09-06-2010 at 02:12 PM. Reason: additional info