Honda Civic Forum This top selling compact car, offered in both a coupe or sedan, has become popular among people who want economy and performance.

Brake issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2020, 08:58 PM
Default Brake issues (updated)

So I have a braking issue and it only happens when I’m braking at slow speed (less that 5 mph) or at high speeds (higher than 60mph)

When braking I can feel a grinding/ spring breaking type of feeling/ sound.

2005 Honda Civic EX (222xxx miles)

here is what I’ve done:

replaced rotors
replaced brakes
replaced both calipers
bleed the braking system
tired rods replaced (mechanic found upon inspection)
engine mounts replaced (mechanic found upon inspection)

I have a pretty good idea of what it might be, because all brakes and rotors have been replaced On The front of the car.

My thought is whenever I brake you can hear a slight squeak about 90% of the time. I later found out that it’s related to the ebrake. With some research I found out it’s related to the drum brakes in the back that are squeaking. So my thought is after spending about 1000$ on mechanics trying to solve the problem and not finding it) is that it’s the rear drum brakes that need to be replaced. I’m just looking for some advice before I spend another 400$ on replacing the drums tomorrow. Let me know what you think

UPDATED PART:

Replaced the whole drum brake setup including the hardware and the drum brake cylinders. Still the grinding/spring breaking feeling and sound is still there? What else could it be I’m so annoyed by this.

Last edited by ek.arroyos; 09-29-2020 at 02:00 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 09-28-2020, 12:01 AM
Super Moderator

it can be the rear brake drum being warped if you use your parking brake every time you park. easy way to check is to pull your hand brake when you are slowing down at about 5mph, or when driving 60mph, pull your hand brake lightly to heavy, you will feel the pulsating. watch traffic as you are doing this testing. i do this when i'm by myself on a quiet smooth street.

Old 09-28-2020, 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by acmech52
it can be the rear brake drum being warped if you use your parking brake every time you park. easy way to check is to pull your hand brake when you are slowing down at about 5mph, or when driving 60mph, pull your hand brake lightly to heavy, you will feel the pulsating. watch traffic as you are doing this testing. i do this when i'm by myself on a quiet smooth street.
thank you for the reply, I tested this when I got home after work and they were screeching like hell! And I didn’t feel a wobble but the screeching was enough for me to confirm it! Huge thanks to you! I will be taking it in to the shop tomorrow and will post an update to see if the “brake issue” is fixed!

Old 09-28-2020, 07:07 AM

Have you ever thought about doing the brakes yourself?
You could potentially save quite a bit of money.

Old 09-28-2020, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by avisitor
Have you ever thought about doing the brakes yourself?
You could potentially save quite a bit of money.
i actually did think about it but it but I thought it was to complicated for me at first but since you said so I ended up getting all the parts today, watched a video by ChrisFix and asked a friend to help me because those springs are hard to mess with, thanks and I’ll update everything when it’s finished !

Last edited by ek.arroyos; 09-28-2020 at 12:34 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 09-28-2020, 01:39 PM

Good luck to you.
Remember to take pics of the brakes before work
This will help when you need to put the brakes back together.
At least that is what I did.

Old 09-28-2020, 09:24 PM
Default Ebrake not working

So after we “successfully” replaced the drums and hardware and bleed the system of air the ebrake is useless, it’s not working at all, any ideas???

Old 09-28-2020, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by ek.arroyos
So after we “successfully” replaced the drums and hardware and bleed the system of air the ebrake is useless, it’s not working at all, any ideas???
i fixed the issue with the ebrake it just needed to be adjusted correctly but the grinding of the “brakes” is still there when slow braking or high braking, please reread the top post as it was just updated.

Old 09-29-2020, 01:05 PM

Did you put a little grease on the back dust plate where the brake shoes rub?
There should be six points, 3 on each shoe. That helps to isolate a little of the noise.
Then after the break in period, it should quiet down a little more.
On one of my cars, it never went away.

Old 09-29-2020, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by avisitor
Did you put a little grease on the back dust plate where the brake shoes rub?
There should be six points, 3 on each shoe. That helps to isolate a little of the noise.
Then after the break in period, it should quiet down a little more.
On one of my cars, it never went away.
Yes I greased up each point but I can still feel the vibrations In The brake pedal as described above

Quick Reply: Brake issues