Honda Civic Forum This top selling compact car, offered in both a coupe or sedan, has become popular among people who want economy and performance.

Brake Problems on my 04 Civic

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 09:16 AM
Default Brake Problems on my 04 Civic

I noticed a few weeks ago that my right front brakes were slightly locking up the pads against the rotor.
I figured that the callipers were getting too old and needed to get them replaced. So after replacing both front callipers, bleeding the brakes and adding new pads and topping up on brake fluid would fix my issue but it hasn't.
I drive a standard and I'm still noticing that it doesn't coast as much when I put it in neutral or doesn't roll back if I'm on a hill. It always seems to come to a slight stop without applying by brakes. Funny thing about all this is that it happens more when the temperature outside is warmer.
Wondering if anyone might have had a similar issue or a solution to what may be causing this.
Any help would be apprciated..
Thank you.

Old 10-06-2010, 10:18 PM

Take your front brakes apart again and put the caliper bracket in a vice. Gently pop the stainless steel clips off and scrub them down with a wire brush and brake clean until they are gleaming. Then use a file to scrape down all the surfaces the clips contact until all rust is removed and you can see bare metal. Apply molykote or antiseize on these surfaces you filed, reinstall the clips. Now, test fit the pads into the brackets. They should slide freely but not feel sloppy loose. File down the contacting surfaces on the pads if binding in the stainless clips. Now apply antiseize sparingly on the areas on the pad you just filed, this will keep the pads moving freely for miles to come.

Old 10-08-2010, 12:32 AM

Thanks for that xmechanic
The brake calipers and brakets are brand new and have no rust.

I'm not sure what you're wanting me to do..

Old 10-08-2010, 11:47 PM

So the problem was not resolved with the new parts? Are they Honda brake pads? With the tires off the ground can you feel s difference between the passenger and drivers side when you spin the wheel by hand? Did you bleed the brakes after install? Are the blessed screws at the top of the caliper?

Old 10-09-2010, 02:53 AM

Oh for sure.. Everything is brand new, they are not Honda pads but they are brand new.. I don't think that there should be a problem with that.
Off the ground, the right front tire is really hard to spin. You can certainly tell that they are still sticking.
I bled the brakes, starting from the right hand side as it is furthest to the master cylinder, and it's still happening. And yes, all the screws are in their proper place.

Last edited by elo-civic; 10-09-2010 at 02:57 AM.
Old 10-10-2010, 10:01 PM

One more question... Just trying to help you get to the bottom of this... What method of bleeding did you do?

Old 10-11-2010, 04:54 AM

hey Xmechanic, I don't understand by what you're trying to ask me? I didn't know there was more of one way to bleed my brakes...

Old 10-11-2010, 10:10 PM

Push pedal, crack open, pump method. Pressure bleed (vacuum pump run off compressed air), and gravity bleeding (cracking bleeder and letting drip). Often different methods offer different results. After replacing components on hondas you need to bleed all the brakes. Did the master run dry at any time during the replacement of parts? If so it's much harder to get air out of this vehicles lines. My favorite method bleed the brakes on the wheels with the new parts using the traditional method. Next step after bleeding the fronts, crack the bleeders on both rear drums and let the fluid Gravity Bleed (attach small peices of clear hose go ends of bleeders and let run into containers) let the rears drip for 10min or so while continuously topping off master reservoir. Close the rear bleeders and clean off with brake clean. Next do the same up front and crack the bleeders on both at the same time ( will bleed much faster than rear, keep an eyebon master. Let bleed 5- 10 minutes. Was there much of a difference between calipers bleed fluid? (marginal amount is normal). This is the method i used during my 8 year tenure as a Honda dealership mechanic. Use only dot3 fluid and buy 4-5 pints to do bleeding this method. Pump up the brakes and test drive.

Old 10-13-2010, 04:07 AM
Thumbs up xmechanic

I'll give the gravity bleed a try and I will get back to you.. After further inspection of how the brakes are reacting, It's the driver's side brake that is likes to lock up. The right side is fine actually.
So, I will try that next weekend and i will let you know how it turns out.

Thanks again for the help.

Old 11-03-2010, 08:23 PM

could the rubber line to the front brake be collapsing?

Quick Reply: Brake Problems on my 04 Civic