Honda Civic Forum This top selling compact car, offered in both a coupe or sedan, has become popular among people who want economy and performance.

car battery dead and keyless entry won't let me in car

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2020, 08:16 PM
Default car battery dead and keyless entry won't let me in car

Hello all. I bought a used Honda Civic EX 2015 back in 2016. I haven't replaced the car battery since then. The car battery has been dying for a while now and instead of opting for a new car battery, I have relied on a portable battery jump starter. It's been a few weeks since I last drove my car and now I can't even enter my car. The smart entry doesn't work and the key inside the smart entry doesn't work. I've replaced the smart entry battery but that didn't work either.

the dealer only gave me one set of smart key-less entry fobs and i'm pretty sure that it was pre-programmed for a different vehicle hence why the manual key doesn't work. would taking the battery out affect the programming of the smart entry?

Would the car battery being completely dead affect the key-less entry system? It hasn't before but perhaps it had just enough battery before.

If so, is there any battery you would recommend? looking for functionality more so than performance. Thank you.

Old 06-06-2020, 10:08 AM

Welcome in,i would hook a charger up to the battery and wait about half and hour and try the smart key.if the battery is too far gone the charger should boost it enough to get in. Never wait to replace a battery when you know its going bad, have you by chance looked at the connections to make sure they are not corroded ?