Honda Civic Forum This top selling compact car, offered in both a coupe or sedan, has become popular among people who want economy and performance.

Check Engine Light

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 09:54 AM
Default Check Engine Light

Hello.

I don't know much about Hondas as I have driven VWs my whole life (I come in peace, please don't flame .

My dad drives a 2005 Honda Civic 4-door, and has had his "Check engine light" go on twice in the past few months.

The first time, the light went off before he was able to get an appointment booked at a dealership. A couple of days ago, it happened again, and he made it to the dealership service while it was still on.

The car is still covered by the manufacturer warranty, but the dealership refused to check it until he paid the "diagnostics fee" of $56.

He found that ridiculous and left, went to another dealership where he got the same answer.

Why does the Honda service ask for us to pay the "diagnostics fee" for a car that is fully covered by the warranty, and has had no mods done to it (bone stock)? Is this a standard procedure with all Honda dealers, or is it just his bad luck?

I, on the other hand, drive a VW Golf (which are notorious for having check engine light go on regularly), and the VW service just resets the sensor and I am off on my way without a penny out of my pocket {Perhaps CEL going on is a regular occurence in v-dubs, and that's why they don't charge for it, but still, I really don't feel Honda should charge to look at the car covered by the warranty.}

Hope anyone has any insight as to why the light might have gone off (he hasn't put gas in the car recently, and the cap was closed properly). The car is bone stock, and has had all the service done to it regularly...

My dad is a 64 years old senior who just drives his car occasionall - mileage on it is very low...

THanks for your help.

N.

Old 09-03-2008, 10:04 AM
Default RE: Check Engine Light

It may just be something going wrong with a sensor. If you don't know how to read engine codes, then I suggest you pay the 56 bucks and get it fixed.