Honda Civic Forum This top selling compact car, offered in both a coupe or sedan, has become popular among people who want economy and performance.

Civic over heats quick and steam comes out after car turns off.

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2023, 09:30 AM
Default Civic over heats quick and steam comes out after car turns off.

I have a 2002 Honda civic ex vetc 1.7. I’ve had since 2019 and recently replaced the thermostat the gasket for it too, the water pump and timing belt, coolant temp sensor, my valve cover gasket and both radiator hoses and it still overheats rapidly. Whenever i park it and it’s still running no ac on no heater on, it’ll slowly go down my gauge. It reaches the top of the overheating gauge, then when i turn my car off you hear gargling from passenger side under hood and steam comes out from there as well along with a hissing sound. I’m thinking head gasket replacement with intake and exhaust manifold gaskets? Any other ideas to see what could be the problem? There’s flow in my radiator i see it when i run the car with cap off to see the flow..

Old 10-17-2023, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by rhiahnacharo@gmail.com
I have a 2002 Honda civic ex vetc 1.7. I’ve had since 2019 and recently replaced the thermostat the gasket for it too, the water pump and timing belt, coolant temp sensor, my valve cover gasket and both radiator hoses and it still overheats rapidly. Whenever i park it and it’s still running no ac on no heater on, it’ll slowly go down my gauge. It reaches the top of the overheating gauge, then when i turn my car off you hear gargling from passenger side under hood and steam comes out from there as well along with a hissing sound. I’m thinking head gasket replacement with intake and exhaust manifold gaskets? Any other ideas to see what could be the problem? There’s flow in my radiator i see it when i run the car with cap off to see the flow..
The gurgling is air pockets where the engine is super hot and then coolant flows over it. You will need to burp the system of any air pockets.

Old 10-17-2023, 03:51 PM
Super Moderator

welcome to the forum. Check to see if the radiator fan turns on before the water gets too hot.(leave the a/c off). or put 12v to the fan motor to see if turns. if yes it may be your thermostat sensor.