Honda Civic Forum This top selling compact car, offered in both a coupe or sedan, has become popular among people who want economy and performance.

Cold Air Intake/Ram Intake installation

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 11:37 AM
Default Cold Air Intake/Ram Intake installation

How do i install an aftermarket cold air intake/ram intake into my 2002 honda civic ex coupe?

any helpful videos and tips for a first time installer?

Old 09-07-2011, 12:43 PM
Super Moderator

welcome to the forum. youtube has them, but need to install for what you get, not all are the same. short or long

Old 09-20-2011, 03:44 PM

I ordered one off ebay two years ago for my Accord,great fit ,price and quality filter.

Old 09-21-2011, 09:09 AM

i have a "long" cold air intake that i want to install.. i ordered one off of ebay that came in the other day and i was wondering how to install it..

Old 09-21-2011, 11:52 AM

You should have a collar at one end that has a large hose clamp that mounts to the throttle body the other end should have and air filter on it.

Old 10-05-2011, 03:55 AM

well being that cold air intakes do absolutely nothing for D17 engines regarding hp gains you should only use the short pipe as a short ram intake because you can potentially suck water into your engine driving through a large deep puddle causing hydrolock and destroying your engine.also i would replace that cheap ebay filter ASAP they are completely garbage and won't actually filter the air replace it with a AEM dryflow filter they can be had for around 50 dollars.and don't forget to do a idle relearn.

Last edited by lowlife9; 10-05-2011 at 04:00 AM.
Old 10-06-2011, 07:23 AM

I have to disagree with you on the water ingestion,I have CAI on all four of my vehicles and never had a problem with water,as for the AEM filters,I learned that trick years ago.The only real HP gains with A CAI system is if byou have a less restrictive exhaust system.the gains can be as high as 18-20 rwhp.

Old 10-08-2011, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by bucwheat
I have to disagree with you on the water ingestion,I have CAI on all four of my vehicles and never had a problem with water,as for the AEM filters,I learned that trick years ago.The only real HP gains with A CAI system is if byou have a less restrictive exhaust system.the gains can be as high as 18-20 rwhp.
i disagree just because you personally haven't had problems with water doesn't mean it has never happened or won't happen and there is no way your going to gain 15-20 hp on a 2002 ex with just a intake and exhaust the D17 does not respond well to bolt ons that engine was made for fuel economy. i have a 2004 with the same engine with a AEM short ram megan race header to a full exhaust and im lucky if i gained 10hp its probably more like 8 nothing noticeable.the only way to gain 20hp would be all of that plus a crower stage 1 camshaft.

Last edited by lowlife9; 10-08-2011 at 10:19 PM.
Old 10-11-2011, 07:22 AM

I belong to a large Corvette club,many of the members race on road tracks and we have two who teach ,the Vettes they run have the Hurricane,Airaid or Blackwing system,if you know anything about these systems you know they are as close to the pavement as possible and unless you drive into a foot of standing water you won't have a problem.As for the power gains I don't know much about D17's and most of my expierence is with american muscle,I can tell you that with one of the above mentioned systems and exhaust you can reach 40hp gains by adding a performance chip. I also work with Diesels and that gain is easily attained.

Old 10-11-2011, 09:31 PM

well they don't make performance chips for the D17 engine your only options are a stand alone ecu from Kpro which cost around 1,200 dollars. AEM makes a piggy back system but it is even less tunable with limited gains.and you have to remember this is a low compression 4 cylinder engine designed for fuel economy and emissions the the 2002 ex came with about 90 hp to the wheels its impossible to gain 40hp with just bolt ons even with kpro your not going to gain 40hp the only real way is turbo.also i don't know were your from but here in connecticut having a foot of stand alone water in the road is a common occurrence its just not worth the risk.

Last edited by lowlife9; 10-11-2011 at 09:50 PM.

Quick Reply: Cold Air Intake/Ram Intake installation