Honda Civic Forum This top selling compact car, offered in both a coupe or sedan, has become popular among people who want economy and performance.

Crankshaft Sensor - CEL

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2015, 10:51 PM
Default Crankshaft Sensor - CEL

Hello All

I have a 97 Honda Civic with 215k miles on it. It has been a great car however recently the harmonic balancer fell off. I replaced it but noticed that the teeth on the harmonic balancer were all chewed off. I installed the new harmonic balancer with new woodruff key, but with the teeth probably balled I was not sure how long it would last. After installing everything the car runs fine again but the CEL went on. I had AutoZone pull the code and it is for the crankshaft. I don't this it is the sensor as the CAR was running fine before. My fear is since the teeth were balled off from the previous balancer that the the crankshaft can't read or is misfiring. I reset the code but it came back on right away. This is a problem because in the coming months I have emissions testing and this won't pass with CEL. Because of what happened could this be the problem and is there anyway I can fix this or is it time to look into a new car?