Honda Civic Forum This top selling compact car, offered in both a coupe or sedan, has become popular among people who want economy and performance.

Dim low beams

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2022, 07:24 PM
Default Dim low beams

The low beams are getting only 7 volts compared to the high beams getting 11.x and I tried changing the bulbs due to the car being a 2010 model but it didn't do anything at all.

I tested the lights outside the cover with a light meter and they are definitely under powered, my kitchen lights are stronger.

I found that it could be corroded ground wire but the diagram I found shows two different places and one of them is really difficult to get to. Do the low beams have one or two ground connections?

Old 04-12-2022, 06:32 AM

You need to understand what voltage drop test means.
If you have your negative test lead on a good ground and only see 7 volts at the bulb socket
And, the voltage at the battery is 12 volts. Then it means that there is something which is resisting the current flow.
Usually, it is corrosion on the wires between the battery and the bulb socket.

If you are measuring between the terminals at the bulb socket and only seeing 7 volts
Then you need to test some more to see where that voltage drop occurs.
Measure the voltage between the ground side of the socket and the ground at the chassis or battery.
If you see a voltage drop then it is ground side
If you see no voltage drop then must test the other side (power).

Sorry, can not answer your question as I do not have the schematics for your vehicle.

Old 04-12-2022, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by avisitor
You need to understand what voltage drop test means.
If you have your negative test lead on a good ground and only see 7 volts at the bulb socket
And, the voltage at the battery is 12 volts. Then it means that there is something which is resisting the current flow.
Usually, it is corrosion on the wires between the battery and the bulb socket.

If you are measuring between the terminals at the bulb socket and only seeing 7 volts
Then you need to test some more to see where that voltage drop occurs.
Measure the voltage between the ground side of the socket and the ground at the chassis or battery.
If you see a voltage drop then it is ground side
If you see no voltage drop then must test the other side (power).

Sorry, can not answer your question as I do not have the schematics for your vehicle.
Sorry I wasn't clear, I heard from someone somewhere else to do a voltage drop test measuring with a multimeter to see if there is any voltage going from negative wire at bulb to negative terminal on battery and if there was no voltage or very low that it was proof that there is nothing wrong with that circuit. If there was voltage higher than 0.5 that there was something wrong with it and to try it on both negative and positive.

I would try the ground but I can't find it. I have a diagram that's either off or I'm not knowing where to look.

The diagram shows two grounds and one is supposed to be in this corner but I don't see it. There's supposed to be another on this same side by the wheel but I need to remove some plastic covers so I haven't gone that route yet.

Old 04-12-2022, 09:42 PM

The best way to check these for shorts is a load test. I used a 4 amp headlight and it works great. You can tell where you problem is by how bright the bulb gets. If you took you headlight and were to hook it at the next splice/connector and it's bright you know that leg of the circuit has high resistance in it. If it's a straight wire from the fuse/relay to the socket check right at where it feeds out from the fuse box and that wire may be swelled up in a spot. That's where it's corroded.
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ting+a+circuit