Honda Civic Forum This top selling compact car, offered in both a coupe or sedan, has become popular among people who want economy and performance.

Do I REALLY have to chage the brake fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2020, 07:21 PM
Default Do I REALLY have to chage the brake fluid?

Hi, I purchased a 2017 Honda Civic EX when it was 2 years old. I know nothing about the previous owners or how they drove (other than that they were husband and wife) the dashboard shows B7 which means that i'm supposed to get the brake fluid changed. When I took it to the dealer, however, they told me that that is a $200+ job, and since the fluid is not quite black yet, it doesn't have to be done right away. After doing some research on the subject, I read that this is a job that requires a specially trained mechanic because the fluid is in an enclosed system not exposed to the air. Now I have owned Hondas in the past (87, 95) and I don't recall ever having to get this kind of expensive service done. Furthermore there is no noticeable performance issue with the braking. So the question is, do I really have to get this costly thing done, and if so are there other companies that I could go to for it that won't charge so much? I'm afraid to take it to a regular mechanic because they are experienced with old cars that need a lot of repair work and how would I know if they are even trained to do this sort of thing?

Old 02-22-2020, 08:37 PM
Super Moderator

welcome to the forum. you don't need to change the fluid until it turns to a brown color or darker. the only thing that is different from the old 87/95 brake system is that it now has a anti skid system. the specially trained mechanics are the ones who went to school and have had training to bleed these brakes. i have done it with my son with his 06 Altima. he pumped the brakes and i slowly bled the brakes from the farthest to the closest. keeping constant view on the the master cylinder to its original mark using a black marker. i noticed the fluid getting cleaner as we bled the system. used the Nissan brake fluid. Honda similar. forgot to mention, if you are driving like a performance driver, then the fluid should be changed. if you drive like the older couple, it should be good.

Old 05-11-2020, 08:11 PM

Yeah, I don't know why they need to charge $200 to change brake fluid. That's insane. I remember how easy it was when I changed mine. So much easier when you have a helper to bleed it while you pump the brake pedal unless you have the machine to do it. I never used the machine.