Honda Civic Forum This top selling compact car, offered in both a coupe or sedan, has become popular among people who want economy and performance.

How to remove rearview mirror button?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2023, 06:34 PM
Default How to remove rearview mirror button?

The whole rearview mirror assembly fell off the windshield of our 2006 Honda Civic. I want to reglue it to the windshield, but I cannot figure out how to remove the button from the bracket on the end of the stem.

Other manufacturers have a screw on the bracket. I loosen the screw, and the button falls out of the bracket. Simple.

Everything I have found about the Honda says to twist the bracket off the button. But all the YouTube videos show the button still securely glued to the windshield. I cannot twist the button while it is secured in the bracket and nothing else. I have not found any written instruction on how to twist out the unattached button.

I tried inserting two screwdrivers into the holes on either side of the bottom of the button. These are the holes where we find the ends of the spring clip. I was able to get one side of the end of the spring clip moved toward the center of the button. The other clip end did not move.

I inserted a screwdriver into the half-circle hole at the head of the bracket. I turned the screwdriver. The button did not budge.

To reattach the button to the windshield, I need to get the button out of the bracket. How do I do that?

Last edited by Duplos; 10-21-2023 at 06:48 PM.
Old 10-21-2023, 09:36 PM

It looks like they glued the button onto the mirror onto the windshield. Warm it and see if it will loosen or you might need to use acetone on it.

Old 10-22-2023, 04:53 PM

Never mind. I figured it out. What I am looking at here is the whole bracket. Following the widely available online instructions, I merely twisted the stem off the bracket. Now I have the bracket in acetone to try to get the residual cement off.