Honda Civic Forum This top selling compact car, offered in both a coupe or sedan, has become popular among people who want economy and performance.

How to upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 03:03 PM
Default How to upgrade

I have a 1996 Honda Civic dx completely stock and in perfect condition. I was hoping someone could help me figure out how to upgrade the engine and performance with out doing an engine swap. The current enging is the D16c i think. I was thinking about possibly upgrading the pistons, header, intake, exaust, and shocks or something. So what do any of you suggest doing. I am hoping not to spend to much to do this but i will see what it takes.

Old 02-26-2007, 04:11 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: How to upgrade

cold intake, (caution on long type intake if in a flooding area) exhaust headers, cat, exhaust pipe and muffler, speed chip, crank pulley to aluminum, shocks will help, (vehicle high or close to the gound does not affect performace unless you intend to do some 80mph+ have fun!!

Old 02-28-2007, 06:32 PM

where would i finda speed chip and what is the price of those?

Old 03-01-2007, 10:52 AM
Super Moderator

We got ours from ebay.com, and cost 2.00 plus shipping. Only thing it did that was not good for Ca smog was the red eng light was on. (when the chip was out we took it to smog, w/no light.)

Old 03-10-2007, 04:23 AM

ORIGINAL: acmech52

We got ours from ebay.com, and cost 2.00 plus shipping. Only thing it did that was not good for Ca smog was the red eng light was on. ( when the chip was out we took it to smog, w/no light. )
all that speed chip is is a resistor, i never bought one but ive heard people got tricked. They dont improve gas mileage and its a waste of money. The ebay peopel who sell them are just trying to trick you. They have no proof that it makes it faster or gives you better gas economy

Old 03-24-2007, 04:13 PM

Dude ur motors a d16y8 by the way. If you want to increase power w/out motorswap do the main things. Header (DC Sports, MEGAN), AEM v2 CAI (cold air intake), Cat-Back Exhaust (dont go bigger than 2 1/2"), bigger plugs (9.2mm), new NGK sparkplugs, cam gear (AEM or Skunk2), pulley set (AEM) or (orthodox), stage 1 or 2 clutch (exedy), Fidanaza flywheel (7.5-11lb), MSD Igition w/cap & rotor & blaster coil, w/those things you'll noticed a big difference.

Also, get a dual bend or a B&M short throw shifter for quicker throws

For suspension, since ur just starting out just buy H&R race springs. Really good springs and a nice drop and nice ride for the money.

You can get everything off of ebay that i listed, just make sure you get the name brand stuff that i mentioned above or something along that lines thats name brand.

DO NOT GET A CHIP, thier dumb and stupid and dont work and like someone said its b/s.

But yeah dude theirs you a start its All the bolt-ons you can basically do w/out going internally.

If you wanted to spend some money, send your ecu off to Hondata, let them program it for you, get either s100 or s200 and you'll for sure notice a huge difference by just doing that alone w/out anything else.