Honda Civic Forum This top selling compact car, offered in both a coupe or sedan, has become popular among people who want economy and performance.

Need help w/ price & advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 11:32 PM
Default Need help w/ price & advice

Stock 98 Civic DX w/ 117K
1.) Its making a “prr-prr” sound during acceleration which I was told it’s the exhaust manifold (maybe cracked I donno) and
2.) it recently started overheating during traffic(when not moving) and the fan doesn’t seem to turn on.
~ to fix it at a shop I was told about $200+. My question to those who are knowledgeable can I fix the car myself for less or is about $200 worth saving the hassle and time. I’d appreciate any info and advice. Thanks

Old 06-05-2007, 06:45 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Need help w/ price & advice

Welcome to the forum, enjoy your stay, and yes it is possible for you to fix your car if your are a bit mechanical. Get yourself a hanes or honda service manual, eBay does have them on sale. if your exhaust is leaking, you cancheck this visual by looking for gray/black exhaust stains around the connectors of the exhaust system, or get the exhaust side of the vaccum cleaner (industrial) and blow it up the exhaust pipe with engine cold. you may hear some air noise in the carb or engine compt ( exhaust valve open ) but check for air passing out the connectors for the prr-prr sound.
Rad over heating and the fan not turning on may be the temp sensor. If you can bypass your temp sensor to give the fan a 12 volts direct to see if the fan works first. If the fan works, the temp sensor could be the problem, if the fan does not work with 12 volts, the fan motor may be bad. ( I replaced my radiator fan motor at about 120k, then the a/c fan motor at 130k )
( And I am not that knowledgable about cars.)