Honda Civic Forum This top selling compact car, offered in both a coupe or sedan, has become popular among people who want economy and performance.

Removing my alternator proving a problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 01:40 PM
Default Removing my alternator proving a problem

Ok, I'm new here, and new at fixing cars, so please go easy ...

I've got a 98 honda civic. I'm interested in learning to fix things on it myself, and am trying to do things that would otherwise cost me bucks to take elsewhere. I'm mechanically capable, and not afraid to get my hands dirty. I just haven't done much in tackling cars yet.

It's time to change out my belts. I got a quote from a shop to replace all of them (3) for about $200, with good belts. I figured, since it won't cripple me to have this car out of service for a while, I'll see if I can do it.

Bought the belts, cracked the lid. Was able to remove the power steering and A/C belts. But the alternator belt is being a bit of a pain ... well, I should say, my alternator is being a pain. I've loosened the top bolt (10mm I believe), climbed under the car, and for all my effort, I've managed to strip the the head of the bolt on the bottom. I've tried with vice grips, and even stripped nut removers, all to no avail. Of course, I'm assuming this is a standard right handed nut. But thus far, it doesn't budge. It doesn't look like it's rusted. It's like the last folks to work on it must have used a 2 ton pneumatic drill.

Any ideas?

Old 10-31-2009, 03:02 PM
Super Moderator

welcome to the forum. Try the vice grips again, but this time have anothert person tap the head of the bolt with a light hammer, also use a nut/bolt release agent ( spray ) to start working before trying to remove the bolt. You can also bang the bolt first before trying to remove it. Banging the head releases it from the bind on the thread.