Honda Civic Forum This top selling compact car, offered in both a coupe or sedan, has become popular among people who want economy and performance.

Slow acceleration between gears

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 10:14 PM
Default Slow acceleration between gears

I have a 1995 Honda Civic DX 1.5 non-vtec engine (engine #D15B7)...the car has an automatic transmission.

I have noticed this issue start a year ago. Whenever the car changed gears, there is a pause between gears, as if the car is having difficultly changing gears. And when the gears are changing and the car is hesitant, I can feel the gas being applied, but no acceleration between gear shifts. The best way to describe it is, if you accidentally hit your stick into neutral while the gas is being pressed, you feel the gas being applied, but of course, no acceleration.

This issue is really annoying and the car takes extra time accelerating when I first take it out on any given day. After the issue was noticed and more recently, I changed the spark plugs, spark wires, distributor cap, distributor rotor, fuel filter, fuel pump, fuel pump strainer, PCV valve, oxygen sensor (only 1 on my car), oil filter, oil, transmission fluid replacement, air filter, timing belt, water pump, "3" other belts, battery, timing adjustment. I was hoping after all of that, the problem would be fix. Please don't get me wrong, I only changed these for preventative maintenance.