Honda Civic Forum This top selling compact car, offered in both a coupe or sedan, has become popular among people who want economy and performance.

T-Bone accident but no airbags - Why?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 11:15 PM
Default T-Bone accident but no airbags - Why?

My brother drives (well, drove) a 2003 Honda Civic coupe. Recently, he was involved in a t-bone accident with an SUV in an intersection. He was driving over 25MPH and the front driver side of his car struck front passenger side of the other vehicle. The airbags did not deploy. Luckily, his seatbelt restrained him. He went unconscious because of the pressure of the belt on his chest but ended up with only minor injuries - most severe of which was extreme pain in his chest from that belt. Do any of you know why the airbags would not deploy in this situation? It seems like a classic airbag scenario. Sorry this is one big block of text but the forum software puts breaks and quotes in with HTML tags like theese: &lt\\;BR&gt\\;&lt\\;BR&gt\\; when I do. Thanks!&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; &lt\\;BR&gt\\;&lt\\;BR&gt\\;_Paul_ &lt\\;BR&gt\\;

Old 06-03-2008, 02:07 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: T-Bone accident but no airbags - Why?

welcome to the forum PaulQ: enjoy your stay and hope we might be able to assist you. Just some basic questions, did you purchase this car new? is this the first accident this car has been in. Did the car ever have a srs light go on. and I have notified the administrator of what is happening with this forum with the HTML tags, sorry for the mess. Thanks

Old 09-03-2008, 11:00 AM

In a wreck like that the airbags should have came out, but perhaps the crumple zones worked well enough not to deploy them. I'm just glad you brother was wearing his seat belt, it could have been much worse.

Old 12-08-2008, 02:29 AM

if the car does not have side air bags the front air bags will not deploy because of the way that the front crash senors are angled