Honda Civic Forum This top selling compact car, offered in both a coupe or sedan, has become popular among people who want economy and performance.

Water in gas tank! Please advise!

Old 03-02-2014, 11:33 AM
Default Water in gas tank! Please advise!

Hi all this is my first post and am hoping for some sound advice on how to fix my issue. I have a 2008 Civic EX 4-Dr. Long story short but yesterday I mistakenly put nearly 2 gallons of water in my fuel tank. I left home and about 1/4 down the road it stalls and suddenly I realized the gas container I used had water in it. So my brother and I push the car back home and I did some research on this site. I removed the rear seat to get at the top of the tank siphoned out the entire tank and put 3-4 gallons of fresh fuel in. Cranked the starter for about 2 minutes and it finally started. Idles fine but when you go to give it gas it will hesitate and the check engine light is flashing. I let it idle for a good hour but the problem persisted. I'm in the process of getting a code reader but in the meantime...is there only a fuel filter inside the tank and not an inline one?...and I'm thinking the water was flushed through the lines being that the car eventually started so should be good there? Any advice would be great thanks!

Old 03-02-2014, 06:52 PM

There is a high pressure up front and a low pressure filter in the rear.

Old 03-02-2014, 08:30 PM

if there's still water in the system it needs to be removed immediately especially if your in a cold climate. if it freezes your going to have bigger problems.you can use a dry gas additive like this http://www.goldeagle.com/products/product3D0E.aspx they sell it at autozone and most car parts stores also most car parts stores will scan codes for free so two birds one stone.