Honda Forum Help & Suggestion Center Need help with Honda Civic Forum? Ask. Have a suggestion to better HCF? Tell us here.

Brake line questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2022, 08:52 PM
Default Brake line questions

Hi all!

im the proud owner of a newly acquired 2002 accord with only 100k miles. It was owned by a 90 year old lady and it drives FLAWLESSLY. Absolutley beautiful car inside and out.

there is one minor problem, I lost all braking pressure while driving and was able to get back safely

I checked the brake fluid and the brake fluid was low enough to trip the low fluid sensor and it shut off the master cylinder.

I added more brake fluid and began pressing the pedal and to my surprise the rear brake line is blown. The fitting where the hard break line goes into the rear drum break housing has corroded through and it sprays a mist of fluid every time I pump the brakes. I cleaned the area thoroughly and I want to replace the part myself.

The actual part that needs to be replaced is a little 10 inch hard line with two ends with fittings.

What I need to figure out specifically is what diameter of brake line do I purchase, and how to figure out what fittings I need. I realize the fitting is threaded into the drum break housing and so I have to make sure whatever fitting I get has the proper thread and diameter for the brake line. It’s gonna take me over a week to order a pre made replacement part and I need to go to college so I’m going to do it myself. It looks relatively simple to bend this piece and all I would have to do is flare the ends and get the proper fittings.

i’m wondering if brake line fittings are a sort of standard thing In the Automobile industry. Like does Honda use the same diameter and same type of thread on all their brake line fittings?

can anyone point me in the right direction? if you need a picture of the part I can get one. The part actually connects to a soft-line and goes into the rear driver side drum brake housing.

thank you!

Last edited by perch perkins; 08-28-2022 at 09:10 PM.
Old 08-28-2022, 09:15 PM

You will likely need to get the wheel cylinder and line. It's a standard 3/16 brake line.

Old 08-28-2022, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by grcauto
You will likely need to get the wheel cylinder and line. It's a standard 3/16 brake line.
I realize the thread in the cylinder could also be corroded but the leak is happening where the line meets the fitting.

i notice there’s a flange that is bolted on to the cylinder. Could I just replace this flange?