Honda Forum Help & Suggestion Center Need help with Honda Civic Forum? Ask. Have a suggestion to better HCF? Tell us here.

Help/insight much appreciated. (acceleration issues)

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 12:20 AM
Default Help/insight much appreciated. (acceleration issues)

I have a 1998 Honda Civic EX and have been experiencing some acceleration issues. When I first drive my car everything runs fine, but when it's been going for a while (say 20 minutes on the freeway) it has issues with acceleration. When I come to a stop then come to push the gas the car takes a lot longer to move/accelerate. It picks up speed for about half a blockthen it shifts and continues into normal acceleration. But when I come to a stop sign or a stop light the process starts all over again with a crawl at first and then it picks up speed then it shifts to normal acceleration. This only happens AFTER the car has been run a while. I took it to a mechanic on Monday and had the exhaust manifold replaced (as it was broken) and it ran fine for 2 days, then the issues started again.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-08-2009, 03:50 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Help/insight much appreciated. (acceleration issues)

welcome to the forum, check the 02 sensors, or v-tech solenoid.

Old 01-08-2009, 10:51 AM

Thanks ac. I took the car into the mechanic this morning and will hopefully hear something good about it today. I mentioned the 0-2 sensor to them as well as the V-Tech solenoid. I was also told it could potentially be the fuel pressure/fuel pump/ fuel filter, or something with the exhaust system.

Old 01-08-2009, 12:51 PM
Super Moderator

something you can do to help the dealer or anyone to troubleshoot your car, write the time of day and when you start your car, run, how long and what it does.This helps a dealer and gets them away from saying, can't find anything wrong, its not doing it now.

Old 01-08-2009, 01:53 PM

Thanks, I'll be sure and do that if they don't find anything.

Old 01-08-2009, 02:41 PM

Was just told by the mechanic that the timing was off, which they offered to adjust that for free since they were the ones who changed the timing belts less than a year ago. They said the o-2 sensor checked out fine as well. I was also told by a friend that it could be the throttle body or fuel filter? is this possible even though it only occurs after the car has been run a while?

Old 01-09-2009, 04:35 AM
Super Moderator

yes it is possible. but lets try one thing at a time, and allow the mechs to do their part.

Old 01-09-2009, 02:37 PM

They did their thing and it seems to be running fine now. Will see how it goes over the next few days. Hopefully the timing issue did the trick.