Honda Forum Help & Suggestion Center Need help with Honda Civic Forum? Ask. Have a suggestion to better HCF? Tell us here.

turbo or supercharger??

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 10:27 PM
Default turbo or supercharger??

I have a 97 Honda civic ex with aB18C1 (GSR) now I was wondering if i should put a turbo in it or a supercharger? Which would work better and be the better bang for my buck?

Old 05-01-2008, 11:32 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: turbo or supercharger??

Both perform great, turbo takes a bit of time to spool up, but once spooled up will continue to give good performance even up at altitude. Supercharger is a bit more expensive, but it has instant power. pressure is constant and right now. Just remember fuel consumption is something you will not be considering. ( I would put a K-20 supercharged in my Fit if racing all the time )approx 600+ hp !!!

Old 08-12-2008, 11:16 PM
Default RE: turbo or supercharger??

turbocharger and a supercharger is good. but there is a difference between a turbocharger and a supercharger.

i found this for you:

The key difference between a turbocharger and a supercharger is its power supply. Something has to supply the power to run the air compressor. In a supercharger, there is a belt that connects directly to the engine. It gets its power the same way that the water pump or alternator does. A turbocharger, on the other hand, gets its power from the exhaust stream. The exhaust runs through a turbine, which in turn spins the compressor.
There are tradeoffs in both systems. In theory, a turbocharger is more efficient because it is using the "wasted" energy in the exhaust stream for its power source. On the other hand, a turbocharger causes some amount of back pressure in the exhaust system and tends to provide less boost until the engine is running at higher RPMs. Superchargers are easier to install but tend to be more expensive.

hope this help