Honda Marine Engines Information on the popular Honda engines in boat use.

BF15 bolt sheared during service

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2021, 01:07 PM
Default BF15 bolt sheared during service

Help me please...
Long story but had the engine off my boat and thought it would be a great idea to do a service.... It's a neglected engine and been permanently in water I think.... Loads of corrosion on the bottom half...
Anyway, I did the fuel filter, spark plugs and drained the engine oil, all relatively painless.
Then I thought I would do the water pump....
So went to remove the bolts holding the lower unit on and it sheared.....
What do I do now?
My thought is that I can either ignore doing the water pump and just epoxy on the end of the bolt, knowing that it's just a count down until I need a new engine, or I've got to remove the midsection and get it somewhere they can remove the stranded bolts.... (Groan)

So.... any thoughts?

For reference the boat is a 1970's grp cruiser on a cannal in the UK and I'm currently working on the engine on a stand on the boat.....

Thanks in advance!

Old 06-02-2021, 06:03 PM
Super Moderator

welcome to the forum. get yourself a set of easy outs or just the correct size with the proper drill, drill into the sheared bolt and then easy out the bold. if you have and extra set of hands, as you are taking the seared bolt, have another person tap the top of the easy out to vibrate the sheared bolt loose.

Old 06-03-2021, 07:38 AM

Thanks for quick reply....
It's going to be much easier to work on if I can up-end it so I can see what I'm doing as it's currently on a home-made stand....
How easy is it to get the mid section off? So I need to separate the long mid section from the top (exaust) section that the engine (power head) sits in...?
The four bolts to that are loose (no corrosion there) but I hve read a few things that convinced me it was going to be more difficult than I first thought?
Is it just 1. remove the 4 bolts and 2.a few taps of a soft mallet 3. separate the two keeping every thing straight and inline?
Thanks!

Old 06-04-2021, 06:53 PM
Super Moderator

sorry i have never taken one apart, i would try to obtain a service repair manual for that engine so you can do all the work inhouse.