Honda Marine Engines Information on the popular Honda engines in boat use.

Honda BF45 Issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2020, 05:57 PM
Default Honda BF45 Issues

Hi Everyone, Im new here and hoping we have some Honda outboard experts here. Thanks in advance for any responses!

(My engine is roughly a 1994 Honda BF45a)

Here we go, I've currently 2 issues.

1. After prolonged steady engine speed running I'm getting the overheat buzzer, limp mode and limited revs. this clears after around 30 seconds. I today have done an acid wash, tested the thermostat and inspected the impeller! Ive replaced the impeller, and ran without thermo for testing purposes. I think there is a blockage somewhere as the tell tale stream starts to run warm and then hot, I don't think this should happen... I can't find anywhere a cooling system schematic for this engine to try an identify where the blockage may be, if anyone could help or tell me what to do... I would appreciate it.

2. My starter is running very slow like a flat battery, I have replaced the starter with a new one as I thought the original was goosed. This did not help. I have checked all the obvious, battery has been changed to a huge diesel one to test I have the amps, battery leads are heavy core, solenoid has been replaced. The solenoid is getting hot, the leads are getting hot, the starter turns slowly but does go quick and start it with continual cranking. The engine isn't overly stiff when turned by hand, so I don't believe its internal issues. Has anyone had this issue before?

Many thanks.
Ben