Honda Marine Engines Information on the popular Honda engines in boat use.

Problem with BF15 Tell Tail

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2023, 05:45 PM
Default Problem with BF15 Tell Tail

I have a Honda BF15A outboard with a persistent issue with the tell tail.

Several months ago, whenever I started the engine, no water would stream from the tell tail, and quickly the engine would seem as if it were overheating. I cleared the small hose and the plastic engine casing fitting. I even started the engine with this hose detached from the block. Upon starting, the engine would stream water from the block for about 15 seconds, then stop and emit smoke instead.

I brought the boat to my local Honda dealer. The found the lower unit rottted under the water pump, in other words, no water was getting pumped into the engine. They also found a corroded thermostat. Ultimately, they repaired the lower with epoxy, replaced the impeller, the thermostat, impeller pump, spark plug, and all gaskets. I started the engine while at the dealer, and the tell tail worked perfectly, but the engine ran rough. They diagnosed a bad coil and replaced that too.

Yesterday, I picked up the boat and took it home...about a 5 mile trip. I noticed under way that the tell tail did not work for the entire trip. The engine ran great and did not seem to overheat at all. The air temperature was about 42 degrees.

Today, I tested the engine at the dock. It started right up, but still not tell tail, only a small amount of smoke - not nearly as much as before the servicing. I noticed the water gurgling at the prop indicating that water was circulating through the engine. I put my finger over the tell tail nozzle and felt no pressure, but when I released, a small stream came out for a few seconds.

Can anyone provide insight as to why my tell tell is not working? Thermostat, impeller all new. Engine ran for over an hour and did not overheat. And yet, a month ago, the tell tail worked find before changing the coil, which is unrelated. Is there any time a tell tail will not stream water?

Old 01-22-2023, 10:00 PM

Do you have any diagrams of that engine?