Honda Marine Engines Information on the popular Honda engines in boat use.

Tilt Proplems

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 10:51 AM
Default Tilt Proplems

I have a 50hp and the tilt began to move slowly. It finally got to the point of zero movement. I hauled the boat and found the fluid level fine. I looked for a drain plug but am unsure of any drain. I found if I tapped on the section of the unit below the motor fluid began to flow and it operated but still rather slow. I charged the battery and this seemed to help a lot.

I bought a new battery two days later and the unit was seized again and did not respond to the tapping.

I find an allen screw in the top and bottom of a long portion of the casting running parellel to the piston cylinder and am thinking the set screw at the lower end of this part of the casting is the DRAIN plug???? I apply a lot of pressure to the set screw with an Allenwrench but no movement, is it possible it is a right hand thread? Will this set screw allow me to drain the fluid? The motor seems to be operating fine but my guess is the hydrolic valves are somehow clogged. Are there any moving parts in the valves?

Open to any and all suggestions other than replace this expensive component on a very new motor.

Thanks