New Member Area New to HF? Stop in tell us about yourself.

Accord Hybrid confusion

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2019, 09:40 PM
Default Accord Hybrid confusion

I recently bought a Honda Accord Hybrid Touring. I feel deceived but Honda would likely say the confusion is my own fault (they'd have a point). At dealerships I got told about a full 100,000 mile warranty on the hybrid battery but then I open the user's manual and I see a sliding scale of partial pay for replacement after the 36,000 mile mark that is significantly less than full. I don't know what to believe but I strongly suspect the worst. I regret my purchase and I anticipate that owning a Honda will be a terrible experience. So far I hate Honda. I should have gone with Toyota. I also got too much of those extras (extended warranty) and paid too much. I hate my choices. The confusion over the hybrid battery coverage is really upsetting to me. I don't like that what I'm told seems to differ from what I read in the manual after buying the car. Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. I would like to be able to enjoy the Accord. So far I really hate it. I regret my choice and it only has 650 miles so far. This is possibly going to be a long, painful journey. I'm scared. Feel free to tell me anything that might ease my stress. I feel like I made a major mistake.

Last edited by Bill Kerns; 06-15-2019 at 09:57 PM.
Old 06-16-2019, 08:43 PM

Welcome in,I understand your disappointment ,but did you get the 100K guaranty in writing? If not go back to the dealership with your owners manual and show the person that said that what the Manual says. What I'm thinking is the normal Accord battery has the 36K warranty not the hybrid ,two different batteries.

Old 06-16-2019, 09:08 PM

Thank you. Unfortunately, I was a fool. I took the word of sales staff (verbal). The manual clearly only covers replacement in full up to 36K on the hybrid and then there's a sliding scale of partial assistance that quickly is reduced in value. I have a very bad feeling about my future as a Honda owner. I was an idiot. No car is perfect but this type of sales technique really ticks me off - caveat emptor is no way to have me feeling happy.

Old 06-17-2019, 09:33 AM

So what the salesman told you was correct, it's covered up to 100k miles but not at 100%. Well if you are like most people they trade cars every 3 or 4 years anyway so I wouldn't worry about it,batteries in other cars are pro rated also weather it be gas or electric.

Old 06-17-2019, 11:09 AM

The error is entirely mine. I was led to think that a warranty is a full warranty. Obviously I should have paused on any purchase for 24 hours and done research. The error was mine. Caveat emptor. I hate what I did. I hate Honda. I hate that I got taken advantage of and I hate my car.

Last edited by Bill Kerns; 06-17-2019 at 11:52 AM.
Old 06-21-2019, 08:14 PM
Super Moderator

welcome to the forum. just info, in the state of Ca, hybrid batteries are partially covered by the state for up to several years past the 3 year warranty Honda gives. we bought a cr-z and was explained to us that after Hondas warranty gives up, state covers up to 100k or so many years, they would fund quite a bit so the owner does not take a heavy hit on expense. you might want to look into this.

Old 06-27-2019, 06:26 AM

Thank you. Unfortunately I'm in Missouri. I'm thinking of selling the car. Currently it has 800 miles. I hate my choice. Nice car. But I was a fool. It was my wife's birthday and I acted on, well, impulse (typical mistake, part of why I'm mad at myself ). People had been teasing me about my "ugly" green Ford Fiesta for a long time and I wanted more "dignity." Thankfully I paid cash. Now I have regrets. This could become equivalent to owning a Mercedes (high expenses ongoing).

Last edited by Bill Kerns; 06-27-2019 at 06:31 AM.
Old 06-27-2019, 10:32 AM

I’m about to buy one, but I live in California. I have to admit when I read your thread it gave me pause, seeing as a new battery pack costs a lot, I’ve heard anywhere from 2500-4000. I live in California, which I guess means I will have a different warranty? Is that right?

Anyway, OP, I’ve done a lot of research on hybrids and I have seen plenty of instances of problems along the way, but bad battery packs seem to be pretty rare. Are you actually having any problems with your battery? A lot of people are going 100,000 miles before they even notice any decline at all. It seems like the odds are in your favor when it comes to the battery.

Old 06-27-2019, 10:47 AM

The car works perfectly and it handles beautifully. I see what people mean by comparing it to handling like a good electric car, it's very smooth. I just simply feel like I overspent (paid near MSRP and then bought stuff like the extended warranty and paint protection). So, I'm nervous about upcoming costs and guilt-tripping, feeling like what I did was selfish and short-sighted. My wife wants me to settle down, saying that we're fine on money and nothing we want has to be sacrificed, plus I paid cash so this has no real impact on our lives in a negative way. Meanwhile, I keep thinking that the money I spent could still be in mutual funds and growing, or the same money, if spent, could be used on travel, and now I really regret this purchase. The regret goes beyond whether the car is good. It is actually an excellent car and I enjoy getting behind the wheel, though I wish the warranty was what I had believed (verbally) when I bought the car. I'm placing the car for sale (so far there are 800 miles, and I know it will depreciate). I may or may not decide to actually sell, because I also know that the best way of getting value is to keep it for 10 years and in reality I'm not in a bad financial spot even after the purchase. I was raised in a fiscally conservative family, not rich at all and sometimes struggling as a child, so this purchase feels foolish. I'm squarely in the middle class financially, with enough to have "disposable income" but now I regret thinking of income as "disposable" because such a term can lead to wasteful spending habits. I'd been getting teased and laughed at so much for the lime-green Fiesta I used to drive that I developed a bit of a borderline obsession (call it a symptom of a midlife crisis perhaps because I kept saying to my wife that "I want my dignity back", but if I'm going to get a midlife crisis car, an Accord Hybrid Touring is a lot less wasteful than an Audi A4 or Lexus ES which I also test-drove while in my goofy obsessive state of mind, in my car search I started with a 2017 Accord but then the test drives for the "fun" of it kept up and in hindsight an obsession may have developed, bordering now that I look back on addiction symptoms even though I've never had an addiction to a substance, all I can do is shake my head about this now and groan about it). I was curious and you know the saying of curiosity and the cat. My wife is beautiful and a decade younger than me, cue again the mid-life crisis symptoms when I allowed myself to think of getting a car, I kept thinking of one for "us" and that was a mistake, I'm always liable to spend more if I put "us" in the picture than if I think of something as only for me. My guilt-tripping is driving my wife up the wall. I keep thinking of this as investment/travel money gone (if I had to choose between seeing the world and driving a Honda I'd choose to travel, really), and now I'm very upset with myself. The warranty issue only adds to it, and I hope I can get $100,000 out of the original battery. Hopefully by then the new battery might be less in cost with advances in technology and economies of scale as this type of battery might become more common.

Last edited by Bill Kerns; 06-27-2019 at 11:25 AM.
Old 11-22-2019, 05:02 AM

To be honest, I think you're worrying too much and over-thinking this! Life is too short to second-guess yourself all the time. If you're not financially in a bad place, just enjoy the car, and think about more important things. If you buy a Honda or a Toyota, the reliability is great and things should last a very long time, with little or no issues for years & years. These days, 100k out of the battery should be a pretty easy goal. And replacement batteries will be cheaper too in 10 years. Just STOP over-thinking and enjoy it! :-)