New Member Area New to HF? Stop in tell us about yourself.

Need Help. catalytic converter on Civic

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 08:37 PM
Smile Need Help. catalytic converter on Civic

Hi,
I am new here.
I have a 1999 Civic EX.I need to do the car inspection soon.
Unluckily, the check engine light is on and I get the code it seems to be the problem about catalytic converter.

I went to a place where it only use the computer to do the car inspection.My question is that:
1. If I kill the check engine light with the scanner, and run for 40-50 miles ( I kill the check engine light before, it turn on after several hundred miles) is it possible for me to pass the inspection with the test of computer????
2. If I want to replace the catalytic converter, how much will the part cost?? I ask a mechanic he told me that the part is expensive...But I check online, it seems that for EX the CAT is only about 150 dollars...but for DX or other model, it is much more expensive...

Really need your help.
Thanks a lot.
George

Old 06-18-2009, 09:57 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by george106
Hi,
I am new here.
I have a 1999 Civic EX.I need to do the car inspection soon.
Unluckily, the check engine light is on and I get the code it seems to be the problem about catalytic converter.

I went to a place where it only use the computer to do the car inspection.My question is that:
1. If I kill the check engine light with the scanner, and run for 40-50 miles ( I kill the check engine light before, it turn on after several hundred miles) is it possible for me to pass the inspection with the test of computer????
2. If I want to replace the catalytic converter, how much will the part cost?? I ask a mechanic he told me that the part is expensive...But I check online, it seems that for EX the CAT is only about 150 dollars...but for DX or other model, it is much more expensive...

Really need your help.
Thanks a lot.
George

you should be able to pass. but dont take my word on it. is the catalatic converter stock?? u havent gutted it or anything? also how many miles does it have? i dont know if its this way in all states but in sc if your catalytic converter goes bad before 100k miles they have to replace it fro free. it might just be the sensor my 98 civic ex did that too. heres a test. find a thermomoter that can read up to 700 degrees temp the pipe before the catalytic converter and then the pipe coming out of the cat. it should be at least 10 percent hotter coming out of the backside of the cat than going in. if not, its bad.