New Member Area New to HF? Stop in tell us about yourself.

Newbie with a question

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2014, 07:15 PM
Default Newbie with a question

Yes, this is our first Honda, but my son has had 1 for several years now. My question however is, does anyone know if a 2000 Accord would have a "chip" in the key? I'm only asking as I looked thru the first 35 pages of the Accord forum, and didn't find what I'm really looking for. The reason for asking, is that I have 1 key for the car, and need to make a copy.
Thanks for any help you can offer.

Old 11-10-2014, 08:53 PM

i believe they do you can have the new key cloned at home depot.

Old 11-16-2014, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by lowlife9
i believe they do you can have the new key cloned at home depot.
Well, my wife talked with the parts guy at our local Honda dealership, and he confirmed that it does indeed have a chip in it. He's going to take the car, and make a "coded" key for it, since the chip has to match what the ignition switch is looking for. Thanks for the suggestion though, although I believe that idea might only get me a "valet" key (work the locks and trunk). We already have one of those, and it doesn't allow the car to start (will turn over the engine, but no start up/run).

Old 11-16-2014, 06:40 PM

no cloning means they scan the old key and encode that info into the new key that way you don't have to reprogram the computer at a dealership which cost $50 - $100 dollars. if the dealership does it they give it a completely different code so all of your keys need to be reprogrammed. also a valet key is suppose to start the car but not unlock the glove box and trunk how else would a valet be able to park your car ? that key would also have to be brought to the dealership. also honda will charge you another $50 - $100 dollars just for a single blank key then charge probably another $50 to cut it. most locksmiths are capable of doing this for half the price of a dealership.

Last edited by lowlife9; 11-16-2014 at 07:00 PM.
Old 11-17-2014, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by lowlife9
no cloning means they scan the old key and encode that info into the new key that way you don't have to reprogram the computer at a dealership which cost $50 - $100 dollars. if the dealership does it they give it a completely different code so all of your keys need to be reprogrammed. also a valet key is suppose to start the car but not unlock the glove box and trunk how else would a valet be able to park your car ? that key would also have to be brought to the dealership. also honda will charge you another $50 - $100 dollars just for a single blank key then charge probably another $50 to cut it. most locksmiths are capable of doing this for half the price of a dealership.
She took it over to the dealership, and let them do their thing with it. Got a 2nd key that works everything, and they also ordered up a passenger side seat belt (to fix the SRS light), as it's covered under the recall (for a life time). Cost out the door for the key was 63.39, and they'll let her know when the seat belt comes in, so they can fix it for free. They even gave it a free rinse off, as it was dirty. Needless to say, we're pleased with them.