New Member Area New to HF? Stop in tell us about yourself.

noobie lookin' for recommendations...

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 11:15 AM
Default noobie lookin' for recommendations...

hey everyone!

is anyone here from Chicago? i bought an 06 civic coupe from http://www.muller-honda.com/
a month ago and was wondering if anyone can recommend them or another dealership in the area that won't rip me off when i need some maintenance done?

my brother takes his car to http://www.billkayhonda.com/ but it's too far south of Chicago for me.

please help cause i owned a hyundai sonata before and had a lot of trouble with service departments and i don't want a similar experience with honda

Old 03-26-2009, 03:55 AM
Super Moderator

welcome to the forum. When I first purchased my new 02 civic from Roberstons Palmdale Honda, I was a sceptic of what charges I was going to get into to do routine maintenance. I did a lot of shopping around especially the lube specialty places. I found out the price what not that far different with the discount coupon they sent to do oil changes and heavy maintenance. 20.00 jiffy lube, and 23.00 Robertsons, but they rotated tires and filled the fluids but at a honda dealer that knows the car.
You might try them for a few oil changes and compare the work they do, also shop around to see if anyone else does work on honda's that you would be comfortable to go to. Be sure they use the Honda mobil 1 oil. You can also do your own oil, oil filter and air filter changes yourself. Get yourself a manual, lots you can do yourself.

Old 04-20-2009, 09:26 AM

man wish i was in california... the jiffy lubes out by me are an absolute rip-off!

Old 04-22-2009, 04:46 AM
Super Moderator

a caution with Juffy lubes, I got a feeeeeeewwwwwww (lots) of complaints of forgetting to put oil back in the engine, and leaving the radiator cap loose after servicing (sp) on several other sites and different states. My mom had jiffy lube in hawaii do her 98 civic for 3-4 years, 0 problems, good job. You need to be aware and recheck after they are done for oil level and hood closed properly.
If you feel uncomfortable, ask if you can observe the work being done to your car. Some shops like Pep boys, you can watch from a window to view, or from the back just outside of the bay. Insurance prevents most garages to allow you to sit and watch.
Go get a service book and read up a bit, you can change your own oil and filter and record this in your maintenace book. Or find out other honda owners and find out where they take their honda for service and how they feel about the work, or check with AAA in their books.