New Member Area New to HF? Stop in tell us about yourself.

Tricky Prelude Needing Some Professional Advice

Old 04-14-2016, 06:25 PM
Default Tricky Prelude Needing Some Professional Advice

Hello, all from the grand state of Arkansas. So let's get to business.... A month or so ago, I wrecked my wonderful civic. Serious sadness. There was a cow in the road that attempted to jump the car. Yeah. Needless to say, the civic is toast. So now I am looking into a 2000 Prelude that a mechanically challenged friend of the family owns. He is selling it super cheap with one catch: the car only starts occasionally. I initially thought easy fix but it has been more daunting than anticipated. Here is how it went: we attempted to start the car (using one of the three keys given) and it will turn over to auxiliary but nothing beyond that. No lights or beeper. Battery was dead. We jumped it and once again, it would turn to auxiliary but nothing more than that. Not once did it actually crank or even start. There is the badly worn original key and two other keys that look as though they were born of Walmart. One of the Walmart baby keys was the only key that would turn it to aux. While in auxiliary mode, it would display full lights and emit a beep, thought a green light showed error with the key. Are we dealing with a bad tumbler here or that beast of a security system? Or neither? This car is in prime condition with super low mileage so I want to scour what info I can before abandoning it. Anybody have any suggestions? Thanks!!