New Member Area New to HF? Stop in tell us about yourself.

Wiper Motor CRV EX

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2021, 01:51 PM
Default Wiper Motor CRV EX

Hi All,

I need some Honda expert advice. I recently bought a Honda CRV EX (2016). My first Honda. When the wipers are on the wiper motor makes a relatively high pitch whirring/whining sound. It is very obvious. When I freeway you don't notice it but around the local roads if I do not have the radio on it is very noticeable and annoying. I sat in two friends CRVs and they do not have the noise, only the wiper blades on windscreen. This is not that. I took back to the dealer and they took it in to replace the wiper motor (genuine). I got it back and they said it made no difference and the sound is still there. They said that it seems to be a normal thing with these Honda CRV wiper motors. I am a bit taken aback because for a relatively luxury car this seem like an odd thing that no-one would complain about to Honda!

Does anyone else have such a sound when their wipers are on? That is, the whining/whirring of the wiper motor. Is this normal? O ram I being a fussy bugger?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Old 04-21-2021, 05:58 PM

On my 2007 CRV, there is no whirling sound from the wiper motor.
My suspicion is that the dealership took your vehicle into the shop and it sat there for 30 minutes
Then, they came back to you and said it was normal. Of course, I am probably wrong.
But, I have a suspicious mind when it comes to the dealerships.

You know it can only be the wipers. Motor or transmission of the wipers.
Turn it on and sounds comes out. Turn it off and sound turns off.
What else can it be??

Did you ask to see the old wiper motor?
Sorry, umm, see what an independent garage would say??

Old 04-21-2021, 06:39 PM
Super Moderator

welcome to the forum. try and run the wiper blades at different speed modes and listen to see if the noise gets faster or slower. if you can get access to a mechanic's stethescope to pin point the noise this would help to trouble shoot exactly where the noise is coming from

Old 04-22-2021, 03:08 AM

Thanks, mate. appreciate the reply. I have my suspicion. They are a reputable dealer but you never know. It can be a fiddly job I imagine. I will have my regular mechanic check it out. That is, double check the work was done. I should have asked to see old part. Doh!

Old 04-22-2021, 03:10 AM

Cheers! I will see what my regular mechanic has and see if we can do this. It does get louder and at higher speeds. Perhaps it is not the motor and the linkages. Anyway, I will do as you say and report back in just in case anyone else has an issue in future.

Old 04-27-2021, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by clif
Hi All,

I need some Honda expert advice. I recently bought a Honda CRV EX (2016). My first Honda. When the wipers are on the wiper motor makes a relatively high pitch whirring/whining sound. It is very obvious. When I freeway you don't notice it but around the local roads if I do not have the radio on it is very noticeable and annoying. I sat in two friends CRVs and they do not have the noise, only the wiper blades on windscreen. This is not that. I took back to the dealer and they took it in to replace the wiper motor (genuine). I got it back and they said it made no difference and the sound is still there. They said that it seems to be a normal thing with these Honda CRV wiper motors. I am a bit taken aback because for a relatively luxury car this seem like an odd thing that no-one would complain about to Honda!

Does anyone else have such a sound when their wipers are on? That is, the whining/whirring of the wiper motor. Is this normal? O ram I being a fussy bugger?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
In my case, it definitely sounds. However, I do believe it is quite normal and nothing to worry about. In any case, you should take ti to the mechanic so he could take a little look.