Odyssey Forum This minivan is among the class leaders thanks to its roomy interior and powerful engine offerings.

2001 Odyssey Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 12:04 AM
Default 2001 Odyssey Transmission

I just had my 2001 Odyssey transmission rebuilt. The transmission mechanic worked at a honda dealership for 8 years before starting his own business.

My transmission was not shifting well between 1st and 2nd gears and he told me it needed to be rebuilt for $1,600.00. He said he would use a Honda rebuild kit that would replace all the clutch plates and solenoids.

After he rebuilt it he said that it still had a slight shift problem between 1st and second but it will get a better with time. He also said that the literature with the rebuild kit said that you would have a little shift problem between 1st and 2nd.

It's been 3 weeks and the transmission has gotten worse and worse. Far worse than when I first brought it to the guy. It has problems shifting in every gear. The engine will rev for several seconds when you give it gas and then it will suddenly engage and bark the tires. I can be going 40mph and put the pedal to the floor and it won't even downshift. It has problems all over the place so I've just parked it until I can talk to the mechanic.

The mechanic gave me a one year warranty. How can you rebuild a transmission and have it act like this? Shouldn't it run like it did before I had any problems? Shouldn't it shift perfectly through all of it's gears like it did when I first bought it? The mechanic told me that it would after he rebuilt it. Then he rebuilt it and said that some problems were normal.

It makes me wonder if it even needed to be rebuilt in the first place if rebuilding it did nothing.

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated. I have to talk to this guy soon and see if he has a solution. One of my best friends family owns a large honda dealership and he asked his service people about my problem and they said if you rebuild a transmission it should run perfectly.

Thanks for your help,

Sam

Old 10-26-2009, 07:50 PM
Super Moderator

welcome to the forum. Yes the transmission is suppose to run better and smoother after an overhaul. Make sure you document what is happening, date, time, how it shifts incase this ends up in court to get your money back. The mechanic did not do something correctly. Have him fix it.