Odyssey Forum This minivan is among the class leaders thanks to its roomy interior and powerful engine offerings.

Can struts get damaged from tire exchange + alignment?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 02:00 PM
Default Can struts get damaged from tire exchange + alignment?

I took my 1996 Honda Odyssey into American Tire Depot for "4" brand new tires and a complete alignment done on the entire car. As soon as I left and went over a speed bump, my car bottom out really bad. It was a crunch, crunch noise, as if my wheels were hitting the wheel well. It sounded really bad. I have own the car for 3 years and it has never done that once...never, never, never. I took the car back the next day, explained the situation and an employee went along with me for a ride in my vehicle. I went over a speed bump gradually and the noise and crunch was very evident. Then, I went over a second speed bump slower...very slow, and the same crunch noise. As the van goes over the speed bump it raises some and than comes crashing down. It sounds really bad and does not look good.

Of course, the employee had the same assessment as anyone with a great brain would have...struts are bad. But I tell you, that I never had the problem before I took my car in and now it exists. Manager denies any wrong doing or intentional doing. I told him that I didn't believe in intentional harm to my car, but accidents do happen.

Manager wants to put two new struts and strut mounts on the front of my car for $475 (all parts and labor). I say forget that, because I don't trust this place any more.

Is it possible for struts to be destroyed in tire replacement via change, car lift, car alignment?

Old 08-16-2013, 04:19 PM

since its a 17 year old car having alignment parts replaced can put stress on other components like bearings and compliance bushings but that doesn't necessarily rule out mechanics errors. so it would be extremely difficult to put the blame solely on the shop tech. get under the car and check bushings have somebody push down on the car and see if you can pin point the noise.

Last edited by lowlife9; 08-16-2013 at 04:22 PM.
Old 08-17-2013, 07:52 AM
Super Moderator

changing tires on rims will not effect the struts, car is raised on a hoist/jacks and tire/rim removed and reinstalled with new tire. Wheel alignment does adjustment on toe angle. Just about anything else needs parts to be changed or bushed. This would take an ok from the owner of the car due to expense. So struts are not touched to the best of my experience for toe in and out.

Old 08-17-2013, 02:25 PM

How about when the car is lowered from the jack lift, it is lowered abruptly and the car comes thunking down. Couldn't that put strain on the struts to break them?