Odyssey Forum This minivan is among the class leaders thanks to its roomy interior and powerful engine offerings.

Engine failure after TSB 17-043 performed

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2021, 03:29 PM
Default Engine failure after TSB 17-043 performed

Let me start by saying we chose a Honda Odyssey based on reliability and safety. However, due to recent events, we are questioning both its reliability and safety.

Two weeks ago the van's engine shutdown while our family of five was on the interstate headed out of town for spring break. Scary stuff. Since the breakdown, two different mechanic shops have looked at the van and were unable to pin point the problem. Until we have a resolution, we do not feel safe driving the van. Below I have outlined all the events and details to the best of my recollection. I sure would appreciate any ideas that you may have on the matter. What might have caused this? Is this a known issue? Has anyone else had problems with the engine after TSB 17-043 was performed? Thanks in advance.

VAN DETAILS:
Honda Odyssey, 2014
44,000 original miles

RECENT HISTORY:
1. January 13, 2021: van taken to first mechanic (Honda dealer) due to transmission shuttering issue
a. Transmission shutter issue was resolved by performing service per technical servile bulletin 17-043
b. An all points inspection was performed
2. March 13, 2021: drove for about an hour and a half on I65 driving between 70 and 75 MPH; this is the first time vehicle was driven on highway for extend time since TSB 17-043 was performed
a. The following happened:
i. LDW and FCW dashboard lights came on
ii. FCW failure scrolled across the center dashboard readout screen
iii. Engine light came on
b. The following happened several minutes later:
i. The speedometer went to zero as we continued to drive between 70 and 75 MPH
c. The following happened moments later:
i. The engine cutout, but electrical remained operational
d. We then coasted to the side of the road
e. After parked on the side of the road we saw smoke came out from under the hood
f. Van was then towed to the closest mechanic in Ardmore, TN
g. Engine started up after tow and parked in mechanic’s parking lot
3. March 16, 2021: the Ardmore mechanic found the following:
a. Engine started back up
b. Fluids, hose connections, and wiring connections checked out okay
c. Error code: “Output shaft speed sensor”
i. Code was cleared
d. Went ahead and changed oil while van was not in use
e. They were unable to determine cause of failure
4. March 20, 2021: vehicle was driven from the mechanic shop in Ardmore, TN to the local Honda Dealer
5. March 23, 2021: the local Honda Dealer looked at it:
a. They performed and charged us for an inspection
b. The mechanic asked if the first mechanic topped off the transmission fluid; they did not
c. They replaced the transmission fluid *I believe this was/should have been done with the TSB 17-043 performed 1/13/21
d. They too were unable to determine cause of failure
6. March 24, 2021: I reached out to Honda corporate and share the above information, there response was deferring me back to the dealer