Odyssey Forum This minivan is among the class leaders thanks to its roomy interior and powerful engine offerings.

New battery dead in a week

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2020, 04:38 PM
Default New battery dead in a week

I need help just got an 07 Honda Odyssey had 2000 dollars worth of work done to it and a new battery put on it two weeks ago went to start it yesterday and the battery is dead completely no juice could someone Please tell me what would drain battery that fast haven’t been driving it yet waiting on tags no lights or anything was left in when it was park Please help!! Thanks

Old 03-30-2020, 08:37 PM
Old 03-31-2020, 02:09 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum. Before you do any work on your vehicle. If you had a shop do 2000.00 worth of work and if there was no problem with the battery before. Perhaps the shop did something in error to cause the battery to be dead or did you check to see if anything was left on. Best to check is at night. Perhaps a courtesy light left on or radio at 0 volume. Might ask the shop if they did anything that may cause the dead battery.

Old 12-22-2022, 03:26 PM

SherylLynn
My '08 Odyssey has the classic parasitic drain, traced at least to fuse 7 by the driver. It is probably the the sliding door system not seeing a proper latch, so it holds it magnetically. So this was a 0.3 amp leak, and in a week (168 hours) it would equate to over 50 Amp-Hours, or the majority of the battery's capacity.

I have yet to fix the parasitic leak, but my patch is a 2 Amp charger installed in the engine compartment. It is a well designed device, can withstand the heat from the engine, is small enough to fit in that tight space, and keeps the battery maintained. I leave a 110v plug hanging out the front to plug into an extension cord from my home.

I have used this rig for 3 years now, and it works perfectly. There can be a myriad of things that can drain the battery, but this patch can overcome the small (<2 Amp) leaks.

The charger is the little black box mid height and all the way right in the picture, with the red wire coming out the top. It is screwed down to a frame member. There is very little room in there. It took me about 2 hours to install, having to plan as I go. No fuse is required as the charger is fuse linked inside.

The orange extension cord comes from the house, the plug hang out front all the time.

I think I will continue to use it even if I get the door problem fixed, because it will save me if I leave an interior light on or some such issue.

I am sold on NOCO products, I have a few jump starts from them too, and they are a lifesaver when your car won't start when you are away from home. Even the tow services use them.

$40 at Amazon (which is less than I paid them 3 years ago)
NOCO Genius GENIUS2D 12V 2-Amp Direct-Mount Onboard Battery Charger And Maintainer NOCO Genius GENIUS2D 12V 2-Amp Direct-Mount Onboard Battery Charger And Maintainer

Old 12-22-2022, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by SherylLynn
I need help just got an 07 Honda Odyssey had 2000 dollars worth of work done to it and a new battery put on it two weeks ago went to start it yesterday and the battery is dead completely no juice could someone Please tell me what would drain battery that fast haven’t been driving it yet waiting on tags no lights or anything was left in when it was park Please help!! Thanks
What work? Picture of the bill would be nice.
Did it sit for two weeks without starting?