Odyssey Forum This minivan is among the class leaders thanks to its roomy interior and powerful engine offerings.

Timing belt changed or not ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2019, 09:16 AM
B0B
Question Timing belt changed or not ?

Bought a used 2012 Odyssey . Had the timing belt changed because it has 124,000 miles on it this was very expensive. Today I checked the antifreeze and looked it over the right side of the engine looks
like it has not been touched ? How can I be sure they actually changed the timing belt ? Bolts ,covers and all are rather dirty and looks like they were not taken off . Is there something I can see that would indicate they actually changed the timing belt ? Thanks Guys B0B

Old 11-27-2019, 12:11 AM
Super Moderator

here are a few things that need to be removed to change the timing belt, these should have some kind of wrench marks, scratch marks, finger touch marks, bolt heads with no grease or dirt on them, or parts cleaned to work on. battery disconnected, engine cover removed, engine computer moduel removed with 3 plugs on the side removed, coil pack and plugs all removed, engine mount loosened serpentine belt removed, p/s pump removed, r/f splash guard removed, tensioner with 2 pullies removed, cam covers removed, both front and back. right front tire removed. all the items removed should have some tale tail evidence of removal.

Old 11-27-2019, 01:38 AM
B0B

Thank You acmech52 I just changed the plugs on the Odyssey and I do not think they had been taken out before no fresh anti seize on them at all they were slightly brown on the threads near the ends . Under the engine cover is a lot of loose dirt like sand etc. just laying there it is still there The service manager says OH YES
the timing belt was changed and he produced a computer printout that says the Timing belt, tensioner ,waterpump ,serpentine belt and all other belts were all changed
and 1 gallon of fresh anti freeze was installed . I told the service manager about there being no marks on any bolts or smudges or grease smears from handling on the covers and the sand and dirt that was under the engine cover . He said our guys use special gloves so there won't be any marks or anything for you to see . My opiniion is that any decent mechanic would at least blow the loose dirt off the top of the engine and clean it up when he put it back together . My wife says lets just drive it and if the timing belt breaks its their fault I don't know about that I think I should take it to another shop and have them look it over and see what they say . B0B

Old 11-27-2019, 11:03 PM
Super Moderator

did you look at all the items i wrote down that needed to be removed to see if the dirt has been moved, also the special gloves after touching a greasy part will transfer onto other parts of the engine when touched with the special gloves. i have yet to see on my 06 Fit, 02 Civic, 16 Hrv, the techs' at the Honda dealership clean my engine, what ever service that is done. Never. i wash my own engine compt and wheel wells. i know when they do any work in my engine compt with their special gloves. i see marks and shinny edges of bolts and nuts or screw driver marks. paw marks on the intake etc, if you want to spend the extra money to have the timing belt checked it will be peace of mind for you. never any harm to have it reinspected. also did you check yelp or bbb for work grade and complaints or good reviews..