Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic... just about anything goes.

need advice on cancelling warranty plus!

Old 07-29-2012, 03:50 PM
Default need advice on cancelling warranty plus!

We just got a new Honda CRV.. love it and it is our second one.. I just hate dealing with the dealers!
We just picked up the car yesterday...we were in a hurry (big mistake!!) as we had 20 people showing up at our house at 1PM
The fnance guy met with us around 9:30 and we thought for sure we would be up and out in plenty of time.--Instead he chatted us up --told funny stories and informed us the financing we got would not be at the price quoted from the credit union because my husband is retired and they cannot take it out of his paycheck.. but! he was going to find us a better deal So got us 1.5 but came with strings.. we had to purchase the extended warranty with lo jack and wheel and tire hazard protection.. but never actually gave us a bottom line price.. just kept talking about how with the savings in interest its such a great deal.. he gave me two numbers one with and one without the programs and the difference was 51 dollars.. (8 yrs of protection) My H and I had agreed we were not going to get the extended warranty from the dealer if at all.. but the more he talked the more my h was interested.. and the 51 extra a month in financing worked out to be 1800 for all three things (based on what he said) well I gave in but then when he printed up the contract the bottom line was an additional 3700! I was floored and asked him how he got to this number.. he gave me some fancy mumbo jumbo about interest ect..wich over the life of the loan is only 300 as we borrowed very little.. at that point we had been there for 3 hrs.. had not eaten had to leave to get home for our guests.. everything else had been done --I wanted to say no way but my h was waivering because he really did not have all the facts--anyway we signed.. I was so upset.. angry with myself for not sticking to my guns and saying no way which would have meant rip up the contracts and start all over again. .oh btw at that point they had already installed the lojack so no way we would have gotten out of there for a few more hours --it was a bit of a mess. so here is my question has anyone ever gotten this package? Each item says I can cancel it and I am calling the bank tomorrow to find out about the interest rate change if we drop all the coverage... I do not believe the rate is connected to buying the I know we made a bad decision---he was good at his job and my bad for not just digging in the heels and saying no..

Old 07-30-2012, 03:52 PM

Welcome to the forum,Never get the extended warranty,it's a rip off,the factory warrant is sufficent to cover your car,as far as the lojack,what does that have to do with financing? You have three days to void the contract in most states,go back to the dealer and make them deal your way or threaten to cancel. You hold all the cards,let us know how it works out.

Old 07-31-2012, 08:39 PM

thanks we had to go out of town right away and back today Sat was when we did the deal... nystate attny generals office website says we have 10 or more days to cancel the warranty.. so I am guessing that we are ok but the issue is now I do have to go back to the dealer and they have to redo the paperwork as the warranty costs were folded into our financing.. yuck I know they are going to give us a hard time.. I just wanted to know my rights so I can go in strong.. thanks we are going to give it a try

Old 08-01-2012, 01:06 PM

Be tough,let them know you don't appreciate them trying to pull a fast one and there are other dealers wanting your business. Good luck.

Old 08-01-2012, 08:30 PM

We already bought and have the car.. so going to another dealer is not something we can do.. we may be screwed but live and learn.. we have a bundled package and they had already installed the lojack so we feel like we have to take that at this point.. which with the discount from our insurance will pay for itself over the life of the car (we keep cars for 10 plus years) but they bundled all this stuff together so we will be paying far more for the lojack than we would have ever paid and actually never would have bought lojack.. but there it is in our car to stay whatever.. lets just hope they come back with a decent credit on the remainder of the product.. yes stay strong unless they give us crap credit for the warranty then it won't be worth it

Old 08-02-2012, 07:28 AM

I though your state had a 10 day return law,take it back if you are not happy,they will do anything to keep from taking it back.