Pilot Forum This mid sized SUV offers the towing capacity of a small truck, with the interior room of an SUV.

Air Conditioning Only Cold when Idling

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 10:12 AM
Default Air Conditioning Only Cold when Idling

I have a 2007 Honda Pilot and recently the air conditioner (A/C) began switching between cold and warm, even when the controls are set to full cold. When driving for a few minutes, it turns to warm. When I get to a stoplight it gets cold again. It remains cold when idling, until I accelerate, at which time it gets warm within a few minutes. I have recharged it with a full (20 oz.) bottle of "AC Pro". When recharging, the gauge indicated that it was low, and I brought it back up to the green. I've read plenty about whether the "do it yourself" kits are worth it. All that debate aside, the issue is no different than before I recharged it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 04-30-2019, 01:10 PM

Check your rad fluid level. Make sure there is fluid in the reserve tank. Top off if necessary and see if it changes.
Check for leaks in the rad if low.
Check that the AC fan is kicking on (drivers side). If not, jump the connector with 12v to see if it’s the motor or the relay or switch.

Old 05-01-2019, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by dgough
Check your rad fluid level. Make sure there is fluid in the reserve tank. Top off if necessary and see if it changes.
Check for leaks in the rad if low.
Check that the AC fan is kicking on (drivers side). If not, jump the connector with 12v to see if it’s the motor or the relay or switch.
Dgough, that was the exact issue. There was a leak in my radiator, and when the radiator fluid dropped the air-conditioner would not kick on. This appears to be some kind of safety mechanisms so the engine does not overheat. After replacing the radiator, the air conditioner worked fine.
Thank you for the suggestion. It would be great to see more activity on this forum. There’s a lot of good brain power out there.
Here are a few photos from the project.