Pilot Forum This mid sized SUV offers the towing capacity of a small truck, with the interior room of an SUV.

Is this a common design flaw?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2021, 09:38 AM
Default Is this a common design flaw?

My wife just purchased a 2012 Pilot. After she brought it home i decided to go clean it up really good and check everything out for her. As i was driving i rolled down rear passenger window and thought the car was going to shake itself apart.
The comments i have found on other forums claim this is normal. At 70 years old and countless SUVs, i have never encountered such before. I just returned from double checking my Durango my 86 Suburban my nephews 4runner and sis's Land Cruiser. May have heard a little similar noise from the 4Runner, but definitely not the horrible shaking, and nothing from any of the other vehicles. Is this a Honda flaw or maybe a Pilot flaw, or is there a reason and a fix?

Old 03-11-2021, 02:04 PM
Super Moderator

there may be a problem with the operation of that window. my experience ive had with vibration windows are no specific to the pilot but other cars. the rubber seals at the base of the window on the door frame got dry and rubbed on the window hard, so rubber lube or silicon lubed the seal. the channels the window slides up and down front and back of the window glass dried up. i used wd-40 to lube the channel slides and it worked for a short time. the motor to raise and lower the window mechanism was appeared to be soaked in water, replaced the window motor and worked good. the sissors mecanism was dried up and made it difficult for the motor to push the glass up or down, wd-40/ lubraplate the working parts and smoothed out the hard rubbing action. again these are all different make vehicles i have owned. yes i did have to open up the door panels to work on many of the vehicles. if you want to save a lot of money and time, get yourself a factory service manual used or new and read up how to fix or work on the entire vehicle.